August 19, 2023

Gardening and A New Endeavor...

 
It was a beautiful day yesterday, and I spent a little time in the garden. I'm learning a lot this year. First of all, I learned that I planted my tomatoes much to close together this time. I won't make that mistake again. I also learned that my plants got much larger than I anticipated (larger than they every got in the past), and I can't add cages or more trellises after they're this big. I'll do better with that next season, too.
 

Straw Bale Gardening
 
In my quest to improve my garden next year, I purchased a book I've been reading about a lot on social media from other gardeners. Straw bale gardening is a method for creating a raised garden without having to invest a tremendous amount of money. It's efficient, and the straw eventually breaks down to use as mulch to put back into the garden. 

Straw bale gardens are perfect for urban dwellers, too. They can be set up on hard surfaces, or on top of the soil in a yard. The book has a wealth of information, and under $15 for the paperback, it was very affordable. The title of the book (under the photo above) is a link in case you'd like to purchase your own copy.
 
Disclosure: I've recently become an Amazon Associate, so as such, I will earn a small commission on any purchases made through my links. I don't want to have distracting advertising banners on my blog, so I'll post such direct links from time to time to promote products I have purchased myself and personally endorse. Your support is greatly appreciated. 

Handsome and I will be purchasing the straw bales from a local farmer and will set them up yet this fall so they're ready to go in the spring. This year has been so successful that we're going to move our garden over to the north side of our property and expand its size. We'll have a really impressive garden next year!
 
I'll be canning pizza sauce today using this beautiful large bowl full of Roma tomatoes. I'll add today's ripe harvest to these for about ten pounds in weight. If I collect more Early Girls this morning, I'll make salsa, too.  

Canning and Crafting. How's a girl to choose? That's easy. The veggies tell me what gets priority these days. Guess canning will come first today. Hopefully, I can get my work done early and still have time for the "crafting" part. I'm heading outside now. The garden is calling. 

12 comments:

  1. Oooo, those tomatoes look so good!
    That book sounds interesting.
    Have fun in the kitchen today!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thanks. The tomatoes are so sweet when they're fresh and ripened by the sun. The Best! I'm fascinated by the whole straw bale gardening. The bales get "conditioned" with a bit of fertilizer, and only needs a couple inches of soil if you're starting from seed. Otherwise, no weeding and the plants grow right into/through the straw. I'm anxious to share more in future posts.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Homemade sauce. That sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be interesting to follow your adventures with straw bale gardening. I've heard of building houses using straw bales but this is the first time I've heard of using them for gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      The current garden will be moved around to the other side of the building...which I'm nervous about because where it is offers full southern exposure and protection from the north wind. We're still debating whether to keep it where it is and expand, or move to the north side of the building. I have to make up my mind soon because we want to buy bales now that it's harvest season and they're plentiful. I'll keep you posted!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Goodness, I thought your garden and gardening endeavors were REALLY impressive THIS year! Next year surely shall be quite grand! 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      Thanks! I've been pretty chuffed about what we've accomplished so far, but expanding will offer more space for other things. I'm thinking blueberry bushes might be nice, too! I'm hoping to have a real homesteader's garden next season! Fingers crossed.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. When are the goats and chickens arriving? 😁

      Delete
  5. Sherry of createology: You and Handsome will be so pleased with Straw Bale gardening. You may have to set up a veggie stand to help with all your productivity. Happy canning…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I think so, too. As far as a veggie stand...I've thought about that, but being at the end of a road isn't really on the way for most people, and traffic would drive Tag bonkers. I'm still considering it, though.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. I was quite impressed with your garden this year, look out next year.
    More pantry shelves will be needed.
    And it brings you so much enjoyment, that's all that matters.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      You're absolutely right about the enjoyment factor. I'm learning by trial and error, too. I'm hoping next year will be even more productive! Thanks so much for being impressed. I really appreciate that.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna