August 10, 2023

Gluten-Free?...

 
I'd planned to do a little gardening and then perhaps a bit of needlework yesterday, but when Grandson has a plan, Grandma jumps. It all began with a text and then FaceTime, as Grandson wanted to try his hand at a little gluten-free baking for his Mom, who has Crohn's. We're all looking for foods to make her life easier, and this young man is always looking out for our daughter-in-law. I told him that, with the exception of gf bread flour, I thought I had everything we needed.

We he got here, we decided to try baguettes. The flour he brought was gf all purpose flour, so our first order of business was to make it "bread flour". A little online research revealed that the addition of baking powder would do the trick. 

When we followed the recipe from King Arthur Baking for gluten-free baguettes, the water created a soupy mess. Definitely needed more flour. Then we learned about xanthum gum...which I didn't have. In retrospect, it really needed that to hold the final ingredients together. I consider myself an accomplished adequate baker by now, but I admit, this whole gluten-free business had me more than a bit frustrated. Things tasted good enough, but the texture left me unimpressed.

Then, Grandson thought we should try gf tortillas, having just tasted my regulars ones from dinner the night before. After lots of trial and error trying to roll them out (unsuccessfully), I decided to try rolling them between two layers of parchment paper. That worked well as long as we were careful peeling the dough off the paper.

He took the results home around 4:30 pm for his mom to try. (She loved everything, but mostly our efforts on her behalf.) I cleaned up the kitchen and then had a concert last night for Handsome, so I got changed and left for the park around 6:30.

Needless to say, I didn't get to anything else yesterday, but went to sleep last night with a smile on my face. There's nothing better than a "good tired" after a day spent with our eldest grandchild. It was a good day, indeed.

8 comments:

  1. Sherry of createology: Your Grandson is so very good looking! He also is a very thoughtful caring person to want to learn GF foods for his mother. Bless you for helping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      Thanks for saying so. We agree wholeheartedly! He's very attentive to both his parents, and as he's very attuned to healthy eating, exercise, and the like, he wants to help keep them healthy, too. He's a real love.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. What a thoughtful young man - to think about making things for his mom AND to want to spend time with his grandma too. There's something good in that boy's genes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      We were surely blessed by this young man. His middle name should be "Joyful". That's what he's always brought us. He loves his little cousins, and is comfortable with people of all ages. In addition to being good looking (IMHO), he's also considerate, kind and intelligent. Some day, he's going to be a perfect husband for a lucky lady. No rush!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. I would say a very lucky mom and grandma. A very thoughtful and very handsome young man.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Shirley. I agree with every single word of your comment today.
      Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. That is so thoughtful of your Grandson.
    He's very handsome, wish I had that head of hair! :)
    Even if some things didn't work out as well, it was probably fun for both of you.
    I've never used xanthum gum either.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful young man! And such a blessing to have a close relationship with your grandson! ❤

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna