August 12, 2023

Harmless Potions...

 
I admit it. I'm a Harry Potter fan and so is Handsome. Now, before anyone gets worked up about HP being occult, know that I'm a Christian and nothing evil turns my head. Harry Potter is a book series. It's a long story. The series got millions of kids to read BIG books (and more than a few adults including Handsome and me to see what the excitement was all about). That's a good thing, when most kids only want to stare at a cell phone or computer screen for hours on end. That being said...

This was a fun project I've been seeing on Instagram a lot. You take a few components and create a fun end product to display. You'll notice it's not the bottle I shared yesterday. There's a reason for that. The bottle I showed you yesterday was turned into part of a Birthday gift for Granddaughter #1 and I'm going to wait until she has it to show it to you...juuust in case someone comes snooping around here.

My linked video (click above) shows what happens to the contents when you shake the bottle. The liquid magically swirls around inside. How did I do this? I filled the bottle with a combination of rubbing alcohol, food coloring, and mica powder. Once the bottle was filled I got to play with the exterior. 

I printed the label (which was partially editable), glued the top so it was permanently sealed, added the wax and charms and it was done! The contents of Polyjuice Potion (according to the Harry Potter books) is a mixture of bicorn horn, boomslang skin, and lacewing fly. The charm closest to the label is to signify the lacewing fly. The rest? You'll have to imagine it inside the bottle. 

The other charm is a symbol that recurs frequently throughout the books, so I added it to the neck of the bottle. Potterheads will immediately recognize if from the books and movies.

This bottle was created for a young woman who plays in the percussion section with Handsome He asked that I make it for her, as she's also a big Potter fan. So, what do you think? The one for the Birthday girl is not Potter themed, and I can't wait to share it with you very soon!

I'm on my way to Craft Day this morning. Belle will be receiving her dragon brooch, and I'll only craft for part of the morning. I have to leave early to pick up my order from the garlic farm south of Fond du Lac before I come home. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a nap when I get back to the farmhouse. I'll share what we make on Monday. I hope you have a great weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Cool project!
    Can't wait to see the one you made for your Granddaughter.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thanks! I really love hers. The charms are personalized.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. I never would have guessed this but how cool! I, too, am a Harry Potter fan (Lord of the Rings too) and appreciate it because it's a great story. I didn't hear about any possible links to the occult until after I'd read them and really didn't think much about it. Personally I'd be willing to bet the people that label it as such most likely haven't even read them. Remember the to-do over the movie 'Dirty Dancing' and how scandalous it was at the time. It really wasn't and is actually one of my favourite movies. I think such things we have to decide for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I'm with you. I've said, "Sometimes a story is just a story". I've read many books in my lifetime, and find a special attraction to the fantasy genre. I really just love books that are entertaining or informative an well-written. I'm going to be making many more of these bottles to include with my upcoming show in September. Think it might bring additional customers into my booth. We'll see.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. Good idea to make them for the show. I'm sure lots of people will be interested and possibly want them for Christmas giving.

      Delete
  3. Not even close for my guess. This is off the charts wonderful.
    Have a great rest of the weekend.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      Thank you, my dear. I sure have fun making them and have already sold two more from my video! (Bonus!) It's been a lovely weekend so far. Thanks!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Sherry of createology: Positively Potionlicious! Very clever dear. I also read Harry Potter but am not totally clued in. Love your creation dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I only learned about these reactions after I'd read the books, so I had a reference. I look at them as stories between good and evil. Not occult at all, although there are wizards and such. As I said in my comment above to MA: Sometimes a story is just a story. And, who doesn't love a good story? I had a HP-type handbag and a few other things in my booth at a show last year. As a mom and her pre-teen walked past, I mentioned those items. The mother grabbed her kid like I'd offered hemlock and said something derogatory. I was actually shocked. After she scurried away, I actually giggled. Takes all kinds, right?
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna