August 16, 2023

Off To A Running Start...

 
It was a very good way to start the week. On Sunday, I put up nineteen pint jars of sweet corn, bought at the local market while I was in Portage. Then I put up ten pint jars of Corn & Black Bean Salsa. In between batches, I ran out to a housewarming party for my nephew and his fiance', being first time homeowners.

I cleaned all the jars, removed the canning rings, labeled and placed the fruits of our labor onto the pantry shelves. That's always the most satisfying part - seeing the pantry shelves filling up.

Yesterday was baking day as Handsome was out of sandwich bread, and I knew I needed to bake a couple other things. Farmhouse bread, seed-topped hamburger buns, and a batch of peanut butter and milk chocolate chips almost closed out my day.

For dinner last night, I made a lovely meatloaf, topped with my home canned Smokey Tomato Jam. It was fabulous (according to Handsome). When I was in the garden yesterday morning, I was trying to move a large tomato "branch" and in the process, it broke off taking about 6 tomatoes with him. Rather than toss them, I thought this was as good a time as any to learn how to make fried green tomatoes. Needless to say, Handsome (and I agreed) that the tomatoes was tasty.

I'll be in the studio today. I have to clean up to even get to the cutting table. More projects, by the way. See you soon!

10 comments:

  1. Everything looks delicious!
    Can't wait to see your what you are making.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thanks so much! Hope you have a wonderful week. Enjoy the sunshine.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. My goodness, that is an amazing start to your week! So very satisfying to see Hubby enjoy the fruits of your labors 😊 From the garden to the kitchen to your studio...enjoy another day of creative productivity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      Thanks so much! Once I get through the chaos, I'll be able to play again.
      I hope you have a great week!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Handsome looks as though he can't wait to sample it all (and I don't blame him!). You certainly had a busy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I know you understand. I love that he's so appreciative of my efforts. I hope you and Resident Chef have a wonderful week.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Sherry of createology: This is a Priceless photo of Handsome waiting to eat your home baked goodies. Hickory Hill Farmhouse kitchen has been very busy! You are amazing my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sherry:
      I love when he's so appreciative. Warms my heart. Saw yesterday that pears will be ready soon, so they're on my list, along with my tomatoes - as soon as they're ready; I'm trying to find concord grapes for jam; and I'll be dry-canning (pressure) potatoes. We'll get apples next week for applesauce, and that's all I have planned for now. Next month, I'll do hickory syrup, more meat and then the pantry will be ready for winter. It's so satisfying to stock the pantry with our own work. My plan is to not purchase soups, and such from the store anymore. I'm going to learn to make our own pasta once our current stock is gone, and get to a point where I don't purchase much more than dairy from the store. I may try to source that locally through an Amish farm market, too. We'll see.
      Have a wonderful week, my friend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. What a way to start the week. And more projects too.
    Everything looks wonderful.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      I'm feeling pretty accomplished about now, but know I'll need a nap soon. lol Thanks, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna