August 28, 2023

I Made A Cat Condo...


I'm feeling pretty chuffed about now. I had this dresser with really dodgy drawer runners. They were plastic and all broken, so whenever I tried to use a drawer, it wanted to drop out. This dresser was a Marketplace purchase (cheap), but the owners loaded it into my Explorer before I could even test the drawers. It's all on me, as I should have given it a thorough check prior to purchase. At any rate, it really stunk as a clothes dresser, but I had an idea, so it's been sitting in our garage waiting for me to get to it.

It's been getting cooler at night - and was pleasantly cooler yesterday - so I decided I needed to get to this now. I made a little list and ran over to Home Depot to get what I needed. When I got back home, I got out Handsome's power tools and the parts I purchased, and got to work. Handsome only helped hold some of the plywood while I cut it, but I did everything else. It still needs paint, but this is what I did. I made a cat house condo for my girls!

 
I removed all the lower drawers, reinforced the dividers between levels, and then insulated the entire piece with sheet styrofoam. There are no gaps in the insulation, and during the winter, the entire condo will be moved to the compass barn so they'll have the building to protect it, too. I even insulated the insides of the upper drawers, which I kept for their supplies. They'll be snug little bugs in this when the winds blow.

I measured all my components and attached a swinging door to the front so I can access the inside should I need to add more bedding or clean out the interior. I even insulated the front panels!

 
I was a little concerned about whether or not the girls would be interested in this, but Claudette was immediately curious. Then, I wasn't sure the opening I cut between the levels would be big enough, but I worried for naught.

Before bed last night, I went out to see whether or not the ladies had moved in. I wanted to add one of their current beds to the padded lower section, and when I opened the door, Claudette was already tucked in her bed in the upper level. Seems she had no issues entering the front door and heading "upstairs" for the night. Once I put the second bed in the lower level and closed the front door, Crystal went right inside and tucked herself in, too.

I went to bed smiling last night, knowing both my girls were safely sleeping in the beds in their new condo. Now I'm assured that as the days get cooler, they have a warm, safe place to be, and once the weather turns toward winter, we'll move them out to the Compass Barn for more protection. 
 
I'm also planning to add a small cut in the side wall of the dresser so I can add a fixture to hold an oven or refrigerator light for a little extra warmth when it's freezing outside. I'm not thinking of anything bright or strong. Just enough to take the chill out of their condo. 

The only thing I have left to do for now is apply a coat of paint to the front panels...and I'm thinking I'll paint a garden scene with faces of my girls peeking out of the grasses and flowers. Of course, they'll need their names above the door, too, along with a little "eyebrow" over the entry. Nothing is too good for my girls, and if I can't have them indoors (at least while Handsome is home), then I'll make sure they have the best in the meantime. What do you think?

13 comments:

  1. It's awesome!
    What a great idea.
    Seems the girls already love it. :)
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thanks! They slept like cozy little bugs last night, and I'm sure that will continue into the cooler weather. I've always been concerned that the vintage basinette (lol) wasn't "enough" for them. Now I needn't worry.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I made a insulated house out of a plastic tote and added straw for a homeless timid cat who my neighbor and I feed. Sadly I have only seen him it a couple of times(once was when we had the polar vortex). He won't come inside of our houses unless we leave the door open - chilly situation in the winter! Some people have told me that he probably feels trapped in there with no "back door open". We do have racoons around here so I wonder if he has been attacked by them and thus is afraid that this will happen again. Sadly, the tote is on my back deck, as our shed has to remain shut and locked because we store our mower and other valuables in there. Any suggestions how I might make it more inviting for him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gramma:
      I wouldn't fret too much about the raccoons attacking him. When ours are in the barn, I've seen raccoons in there with them sharing food. The cats usually back out of the way until the marauder leaves, and they eat after I replenish their food. Same with the oppossums. These animals know how to coexist better than some people. Unfortunately, if you put out the food to entice the cat, it will also invite the others, so if you do that, you'll need to put out enough food for both. If you leave the accommodations outside in a sheltered area, I'm sure the cat will find it and take advantage of your hospitality. Outdoor cats are very resourceful. Please keep me posted if he shows up. I'd love to know he's got a safe place with you and your kind heart.
      Blessings,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. You definitely have a rolls-royce kitty condo! It's lovely that they immediately adopted it as their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Thanks! I'm quite sure I have the most spoiled outdoor cats in the country. In return, they keep the mice away from the house, and I really appreciate that!
      Have a great week!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. This a wonderful set up. I'm sure the girls will love it. This may be a good option for my barn cats! Ms RG, I also heard outdoor cats may need two openings to have an escape route. - Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy:
      I hadn't considered an escape route, but it makes sense. I'll put some thought into that and will add one, for sure. Thanks for the idea! Hope you have a great week!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Sherry of createology: Wow! You are very cat clever. This dresser is perfect for their Condo. I think you have done an excellent job of refurbing the dresser. Claudette and Crystal are so very fortunate to have you as their cat mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      Thanks, dear. I'm not sure how cat clever I actually am, but this seemed to work out. I'm going to have fun painting it with a little garden scene and of course, I'll share that when I'm finished. I think I'm fortunate that Claudette and Crystal chose me. I sure love those little girls.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. What a clever condo! That’s such a nice set-up for those sweet girls. We’ve had accommodations for outside cats in the past, but mine were borrowed from a friend, so I have no experience making them, but I do know that there is such a thing as an indoor/outdoor heating pad that we would have purchased if we had needed them for another winter. It appears the come in a variety of prices. Whatever you use to warm your sweet kitties, I know they will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's wonderful! And so very thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so wonderful! I'm sure the girls love it.
    Such a great repurpose for the dresser.
    Definitely Beverly Hills real estate worthy.
    Amazing how our creatures choose us.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna