August 3, 2023

Dinner Inspired...

When I read all your lovely comments yesterday, I noticed that Lois said she would have been inspired to make something from scratch. Well, don't you know that's exactly what happened? I baked two small loaves of bread in the afternoon, which I didn't photograph. (I figured you're sick of seeing bread pictures by now.) So, of course, I'm going to share my dessert first, because...dessert!

After the cabinets were installed, Handsome went outside to pick up all the windfalls off our dear old apple tree. He found many that weren't even bruised, but were so lovely he couldn't toss them. He brought them inside, we cleaned a few and taste-tested one. They were absolutely fine, so I decided to make a rustic tart from scratch. I should note that these apples are complete gifts from the farm. We don't spray them or doing anything special for the fruit. We simply appreciate them as the fruit matures. Would that be considered organic? I don't know.

I've shared my apple pie recipe with you in the past, and that's how I prepared the apples. Peeled, and cut into chunks. Then I sprinkled lemon juice and vanilla over them. I added a bit of flour, some brown sugar and a touch of salt. Last was the addition of a handful of chopped hickory nuts for a bit of crunch.

Those ingredients sat in the bowl while I prepared the crust. Once laid out, I crushed about a half cup of Wheaties and placed in the center of the crust. Then, I spooned the apple mix on top of the Wheaties, reserving some of the liquid. I folded the crust around the apple mixture, placed a few pats of butter on the apples, and brushed the crust with the last of the reserved liquid.

Baked in a 425ยบ oven until brown and flaky. When I served this after dinner, I topped it with a small scoop of butter pecan ice cream. Needless to say, Handsome made more than a few yummy noises.


Before dessert, we enjoyed the main course. This time, I pulled a jar of my home-canned chicken breast, a jar of potatoes from the pantry, plus frozen peas, fresh mushrooms, and carrots rounded out the ingredients. 

I made a roux of melted butter and flour, then added a bit of powdered chicken bouillon, fresh half and half and the reserved broth from the canned chicken, whisking until it thickened. I sauteed the mushrooms, and then added them to freshly chopped carrots, drained potatoes, chicken, salt and pepper, and topping with the creamy goodness I'd already made. I carefully folded all the ingredients together and poured them into a greased baking dish, and covered it with pie crust (only on the top, not the bottom). It went into the oven next to the rustic apple tart and both dishes spent 30-40 minutes in the oven.

The entire meal inspired by our new cabinet installation. As it's been a little cooler in the evening, this was the perfect, simple meal with most of the ingredients coming right from the canning cupboard or our yard. Could there be anything better or more satisfying? I think not.

12 comments:

  1. Oh... that lovely apple pie... I like it. :-)))
    And exactly the way you did it, I have to try it. Thanks.
    It's been far too cool here with us for two weeks and too wet, today with very strong wind... yesterday I cooked soup with leeks and minced beef and today I have beef roulades in a pot, with red cabbage and potatoes... actually it is this is my food for fall... but now with this cold weather...
    I wish you a happy time. Many greetings from Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Viola!
      It's so nice to hear from you. If you follow my (loose) recipe, I hope you'll let me know how you like it. Your dishes sound absolutely delicious, and perfect for cooler weather. Fall is my favorite time of year, and with canning and preserving on the near horizon, I prefer that it be cooler. I have a bumper crop of tomatoes this year, and I still need hot weather for them to ripen. Then the cool weather can come any time.
      Thank you so much for commenting and sharing your menu!
      Blessings,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Mmmmmm, both look so yummy!
    Just curious, why do you put Wheaties on the crust?
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      My mum used to put corn flakes on the crust when she made apple streudel when I was a kid. It seemed to add a little more texture and flavor in the dish. When making an apple pie decades ago, I remembered that, and as we eat Wheaties instead of corn flakes, I added those instead. It's certainly not critical to the recipe - just a personal preference. Thanks for asking!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Yum! I must admit I do miss having a cold cellar so we can store preserves but it's far too warm in this apartment for anything to keep well. We do have a small bar-size fridge and that does hold things like our much-loved zucchini relish but not much storage beyond that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Aww, honey. I actually feel bad that you're not able to store as much as I think you'd like to. I grumble about having to climb the stairs some days, but the pantry storage amply offsets the stairs...for now. If we ever move to a single story home, room to roam and a pantry will be on the "no negotiation" list. I'm a huge fan of zucchini relish over bread every day of the week!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Sherry of createology: Your homesteading is truly amazing. Baking from scratch with ingredients you have preserved or gathered fresh from the farm is pure delight. Dinner looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I wish you lived closer so we could share a meal. That would be "pure delight", my friend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Definitely a five star dinner, Chef's Kiss.
    Yes, they are organic apples.
    If this change inspired this dinner, I can't imagine what will happen with the pantry update.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      I'm so excited for that next change, but savoring this one for now. I'll never want to leave here once the kitchen modifications are done! I'm so glad our apples are considered organic. I'll happily cut out a little wormhole here or there to avoid the sprays and pesticides. After all, I'm sure the windfalls are also shared with the other critters that pass through our property and I wouldn't want any of them to get sick. I'll be playing in the kitchen again very soon!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. Oh, yum! What a perfect meal prepared in such a lovely kitchen! And all those homesteaded (is that a word?) ingredients...that must be so incredibly satisfying - for the stomach and the heart!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      Yes. I believe it is a word, and with all the new (goofy) words being invented every day, if it isn't, I'll declare it one now! It really is satisfying knowing that we preserved much of what I take off the shelves in our pantry. I want to try my hand at pasta, too, once I use what we have now. I don't buy soups from the grocery anymore, and soon we'll have our own pizza sauce. I have about three ripe pounds of Romas on the counter, but the rest will be ripe in no time, and then it's going to get busy around here!
      Happy Weekend, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna