April 27, 2022

Sparkling Needle Dancing...

Current Progress On My Goldwork Floral Wreath
In addition to baking bread and rolls on Monday, I also worked on my Floral Wreath. I’m making great strides on my third branch, so I’ll move on to Number Four (and final) very soon. 

Making Chippings
I thought I’d share one part of the process that I think you’d like to know. The blue sparkles in my flowers aren’t beads. They’re actually cut from a metallic coil called pearl purl. CORRECTION: The fiber is called “Check purls”. Pearl Purl is a different metallic fiber. Sorry for the confusion. I’m still learning. 

I have to use scissors devoted to only cutting metallic threads, as they dull the blades. Ideally, the chippings are cut in equal sizes, but it’s okay to make them a bit smaller to fill in a bare spot when needed. 

They’re then stitched in place (through the coil, like a bead) with another metallic thread called heavy metal. I’ve learned that fiber is Madeira 30 thread. The chippings are stitched in a random pattern, trying not to have them all going in the same direction. I think you achieve maximum sparkle that way. 

Tomorrow I’ll take pictures or a short video to share how the leaves are stitched. I think you’re going to love that process. It’s very zen!

See you tomorrow.

 

12 comments:

  1. So very pretty, almost done!
    Interesting how the metallic mimics beads.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I'm getting there! I think it will be finished this week. yippee!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Funny name - pearl purl, but it does give such an amazing sparkle. Does my magpie heart good to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      My tutor is from Argentina. Her pronunciation of "pearl purl" is precious. I agree. I think I have a little (lot) of magpie in me, too!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. I realized I made an error, MA. I so enjoyed her pronunciation that I called these the wrong thing. I made a correction in the original post. They're check purls, and they come in LOTS of different colors. I'm going to make a heart pin soon with my beautiful red ones! Sorry for the error. xo D

      Delete
    3. No worries! I don't know the difference anyway. There IS something called pearl purl though (I think!).

      Delete
  3. Sherry of createology. I was definitely fooled by the pearl purl and thinking they were beads. Interesting all of the new things to learn and work with after sew many stitched projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I agree. It's easy to keep learning for all our days, as (at least in my case) there's so much I still don't know. Of course, I don't know what those things are yet, but I'm fully open. ;-)
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. It is amazing to see what you are making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Marit. I'm having so much fun with it!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. I'm loving this piece Donna. I tried some cross stitch once with metallic thread and it drove me crazy because it kept unravelling around the core thread. I'd love to know how you prevent this so that I can actually finish the piece I started a million years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marrianne:
      I always taught students to keep the lengths shorter than you'd usually use in floss. No more than 15" or so (Clara says the length from your fingertips to your elbow is a good measure.) She taught me that as soon as the thread starts to fray on the end, cut it off or start a new piece. I hope you can take another run at your piece. I'm sure it will be lovely when you finish it.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna