April 7, 2022

Definitely Not The Gentle Arts...

Claudette and Crystal On Their Favorite Perch

I did get to do a little needle dancing yesterday, but not until the evening. During the day, while the weather was a bit warmer (in the 50s) and kind of nice, I decided the barn needed cleaning. Specifically, the area I call the "potting shed". At least, that's what its function was prior to my squatters moving in.

Before winter fully set in, I made it a haven for the girls. Of course, Smelly Cat (aka Leo) moved in about a month ago, and I couldn't stand it anymore. I had to do some serious deep cleaning.

When I walked into the barn, the girls were on their favorite perch (which drives Handsome crazy). I actually put their bed up there a couple nights ago, because when I had it in the usual place, Smelly Cat crawled into it when it was popped up (like a little igloo) and soiled all the bedding inside. The girls refused to use it in that condition, so everything went into the laundry - including the "igloo".

Once everything was cleaned, I put it up where the girls usually cuddle and Leo never goes. They've been perfectly content to use it since then. 

The Feeding Station

The area I used to use as a potting shed, is now a feeding station. All the climbing up and down by cats, opossums, and Heaven knows what else had it all muddy and gross, so I took a bucket of safe-for-animals disinfectant and scrubbed that puppy 'til it fairly shined. I cleaned all the dishes, and refilled the fresh water and food (which I do every day).

The Solar-Loading Station

Then I turned my attention to the really messy parts. I moved all the yard furniture out (which Handsome and I store there for the winter), and put it in the main part of the barn. That left plenty of room for me to rake up marsh hay, sweep everything out, and then scrub the floor (well, as much as I could a barn floor).

I cleared everything off the table in front of the window, and cleaned that up as much as I could, too. I tried to clean off the shelf where I'd made a beautiful, warm spot for the girls to sleep in the cold weather, but they hadn't used that since Leo checked it out. 

When I went to pull out the dirty blankets, I disturbed Big Grey (the opossum). I had no idea he was in there, but I'd awakened him. He looked at me as if to say, "Do you mind?". No hissing or make believe ferocity to attempt to scare me off. Just a look like, "I was sleeping here." I apologetically covered him back us so he could go back to sleep, and didn't hear a peep out of him the rest of the time I wrestled things around out there.

I Was Being Watched

By the time I was finished, my back was aching, my knee was sore, and I was done in. I sat for a bit and cuddled the girls, and then went back to the potting shed to turn off the lights. Yes. I had one more watcher the whole time I was out there. Most of the time, he was up on the perches in front of the window, but as it appeared I was finishing up, he moved over to the food bench and peeked at me from his hiding place.

That's okay. Next week, there will be a live trap set up on the table. I'll strap the door so that it doesn't close on him, so he can get used to going in and out of it to eat. I made an appointment for him to get vetted and "snipped" the next time the rescue is making their group run. He's going to be on that transport, which means I'll have to catch him. He'll come back to the farm minus his "ground tackle", vaccinated against rabies and fleas/ticks, and bathed. Mostly bathed.

Kittens Drinking Milk

I haven't really every taken care of cats before, so I didn't know I wasn't supposed to give them milk. (Do you know how many images I've seen since I was a kid, showing kittens drinking milk? Picture me giving myself a face palm here.) I found that out yesterday when I spoke with Renee at the rescue. It may be the reason Leo's been having gastric issues that have fairly coated the barn. I've immediately stopped the daily milk, and will only give them cat food from now on. I'm hoping that takes care of his problem, but just in case, I'll take a "sample" to our vet and make sure there isn't something else going on. I don't want to have to deep clean their accommodations again anytime soon. I was exhausted by the time I was done. I'd much rather be doing needlework!

6 comments:

  1. You are so thoughtful of the animals, giving them food & a home.
    I think I read somewhere that milk really isn't good for cats.
    Love that old pic.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thanks so much. I only found out that milk was bad for cats when I was talking to the cat lady at the rescue (She arranges the snip snip transport). I told her, "I've seen pictures of cats and milk since I was a little kid. I had no idea." I stopped with the milk as of that minute. I hate to think the boy's been sick all this time because of me. ugh If you google "cats drinking milk", the internet is loaded with them! Go figure.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. You're right - so many illustrations show kitties drinking milk and it's not good for them. As for the issues with Leo - I suspect he's marking his territory (a thing that male cats do unless they're fixed) and I suspect that it's quite possible he won't stop doing that now that he's in the habit, fixed or not. In my experience once male cats start to spray they don't stop. The only way seems to be to get them fixed when they're quite young. I hope Leo is a good boy and behaves after he's had the 'snip' but don't be surprised if he doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I feel awful thinking Leo's current condition might be my fault. Not to be indelicate, but he's not spraying. It's liquid poop everywhere he stands, sleeps, rests, jumps, walks. It was freaking everywhere. That'a why my sweet girls moved out of the potting shed area, and I was forced to make other warm accommodations for them. I always know when he's there, because I can smell him. He needs a bath something fierce, so I'm hoping that happens after they sedate him, but before the "snip snip". No more milk from now on! Whew.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. You deserve a medal for your cat, opossum and anything else rescue bed and breakfast, lunch and dinner. Yes we always see cats with a dish of milk but No No. I think they like cream better but I didn’t;t give it to my Sasha Boo Boo kitty. She preferred medium sized shrimp! I would open the freezer door and she would come running. She did not like the cheaper little bay shrimp. We do love our animals that become our fur children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sherry:
    You're sweet to say so. I've given the girls tuna outside their regular diet, but they've mostly ignored the milk. Leo lapped it up, and maybe that's why he got sick. Lactose intolerance. Poor boy. I hope that's all it is, because if that's the case, he should start feeling better soon. The girls turned their noses up at shrimp (lucky for me!). lol
    xoxo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna