February 28, 2019

I Was Clueless...

Fortnight Game Image - Brynwood Needleworks via Web

I'm seriously clueless when it comes to online gaming. I've only played two adventure games since we first got our computers in 1984, and they were "Myst" and its sister game "Riven?". Nothing since.

When I was at the Birthday party for my twin great-nieces, I had a conversation with one of my great-nephews. He was pretty interested in the quilt I made for his brother last summer (HERE). I asked it he wanted a quilt, too, and he said he would.

I asked him about his interests, and he said "Fortnight. Fortnight. Fortnight. Fortnight..." and one other game (which I promptly forgot). ugh.

I went online that night to see if I could locate any Fortnight fabric. That was obviously his first choice, right? I couldn't find any. So, this great aunty thought "Game of Thrones". lol 
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Game of Thrones Fabric

I went to Etsy's site, and immediately found three fabrics that I thought would be perfect. I told his daddy about it right before the fabric arrived in the mail, and he said, "Aunt Donna, Game of Thrones isn't an actual game. It's a series (movie. Whatever) on tv." Then he giggled at me.

Brynwood Needleworks - Minecraft Game Image via Web

I said, "Well, P. told me two different games and I could only remember one." To which he replied, "The other game is Minecraft." Oh, for pity's sake. How lame am I? 

So, I went back to Etsy in search of Minecraft fabric, and although I found some, I wasn't really thrilled with my choices. I've decided instead to print out some of the images of the game that I found online, and I'll print them out onto fabric. I'll use fabrics I already have to make up the rest of his lap quilt.

I'll likely resell the Game of Thrones fabric. I've never seen that show, and have no other use for it. In the meantime, I'll begin making my nephew's quilt today. (His Birthday party is March 9th.) I'm still shaking my head, but I'm glad it will work out in the long run.

Are you wondering why I'm not printing out Fortnight images? Well, it seems there's been a problem with hackers frightening and bullying kids who play the game online. When I talked with my nephew about an article I'd read, he told me he'd shown one of the images to his son and asked whether or not it had popped up on his screen when he was playing Fortnight. His son said, "no", but it scared him off the game altogether. I don't think I'll rub it in by making a Fortnight quilt, but I'll ask his dad one more time before I start printing. As crazy as the boy was about the game, I want to make sure I make a quilt he'll love. Minecraft or Fortnight, but definitely not Game of Thrones. (facepalm)

DonnaAcornSignature

3 comments:

  1. You know more than I do about computer games. I stay away from everything “fun”. Good luck with the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Donna, I am right there with you. That is all my son does...computer games. My grandson is the same way along with my oldest granddaughter. My SIL is always playing something when I go over to their house. Their talk just seems to go in one of my ears and out the other. I can't keep any of it apart. I do remember seeing Minecraft on their devices though. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! Ditto, we are on the same page! Your quilt will be a one of a kind treasure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna