April 9, 2024

Fly Away...

The bottom ladybug was my first attempt, and I used check purls for the spots. I keep the first of every goldwork piece I make "for the archives". After the first one, I used tiny 32mm sequins and check purls to attach them. 

Those two are already listed in my Etsy shop HERE and HERE, and are ready to fly to new homes. (I created a separate listing for each brooch.)


Each Ladybug Brooch measures approximately 1-1/4" long by 1" wide by 1/4" thick. As they are smaller, I decided to use a pair of tiny magnets for wearing them. One magnet is adhered under the cork backing, and the other on the outside back.

Now that they're completed and listed in my shop, I'll be setting up my next project. This one has a deadline as it's a wedding gift for my great-nephew and his bride to be. They're getting married this month, so I'll be stitching this one start to finish.

After I finish the wedding gift, I'll be making the last four frogs to go to the Final Four giveaway winners. My plan is for all of them to be completed and mailed by the end of this month. 

I'm at work today, so the stitching will begin tomorrow. My best intentions are always to stitch in the evening when I get back home, but that hasn't worked out lately, so I won't make promises I can't keep. 

Oh, and I'm so happy that the day was uneventful yesterday. Where we live, it seemed to get darker for a while in the afternoon, but the birds never got quiet. I think they were so happy with the clear blue skies and 60º temperatures that they just couldn't help themselves. I kept working on my goldwork pieces and hoped for the best. Mind you, I'm certainly not complaining! Uneventful is good. See you tomorrow!

11 comments:

  1. The Ladys are too cute!
    It got eerie/dark for about 15 minutes here about 2:00, that was it.
    Then it was bright & sunny again.
    We opened windows as it was warm for a change!
    Hubby went & got his Eclipse deal at Burger King.......buy 1/get 1 free. lol
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Sounds about how our afternoon went, too. I was completing ladybugs, so it kept my attention indoors, but I ended up having to turn lights on so I could see well enough to finish the task at hand. I had a few windows open, too, so I could listen to the birds. It was nice. Sounds like your husband did the best of all of us! lol
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. The eclipse was pretty uneventful here too. Basically it just looked as though it was cloudy...certainly didn't get dark like they predicted. I've seen pictures taken locally online and they show the sky as being really dark - obviously they've edited them. The birds didn't seem affected at all. Only about half the normal numbers of people turned up at our quilt guild meeting and one suspects it was because they were afraid of what could happen.
    Your 'ladies' are so pretty!!! I'm sure they'll fly away to new homes really quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I guess in the path of "totality", it got completely dark, but that was far south of us. Even though it got darker here, the sun stayed out the entire time. The effect was like that of a partly cloudy day. Our birds weren't affected either. I know that many people were concerned because states were scaring them over the "states of emergency". We haven't had those for eclipses in years past. It was weird all around. Thanks about the ladybugs. I hope they have new homes soon.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Sherry of createology: Ladybugs are so sweet. Yours are not only sweet but BEADutiful! The wire antenna are perfect. Happy Week to You…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry!
      Thanks so much, dear. They were definitely fun to make. After I finish the wedding piece that's up next, I'm going to put my attention to a goldwork corgi. Could be interesting. Hope you have a blessed week.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. We had the total eclipse and it was awesome. The clouds were scattered so I was able to watch it. At my age, I know this is a once in a lifetime event for me. When the moon covered the sun, it went dark, like night, for 3-4 minutes! I know that is what it is supposed to do but it just was like a surprise. It got cool, quiet and you could see Venus and Jupiter (I thought stars but later learned they were planets). I thanked God for a special gift. It also was so nice to see so many people just be so happy about the experience.
    The ladybugs are so adorable. Perfect timing for mascots as the gardening season is starting. --Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy:
      How wonderful that you got to see the total eclipse! It sound's so cool. Someone told me at work today that our temperature dropped 15º during the eclipse! I guess I hadn't even noticed that. You saw two planets, too? (clapping hands) You're right. A real gift for many.
      Thanks about the ladybugs. I'm getting the gardening itch already, too!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. These ladies are so sweet.
    The antenna really finish them off.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      Thanks! I had the antennae concept in my mind as I was stitching them. They turned out just the way I envisioned them. squeeee
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna