April 2, 2024

A Task Accomplished...

AI Web Image

I ended yesterday feeling pretty chuffed that I accomplished a necessary annual task. I've come to loathe tax preparation these past few years, but it's a job that has to be done. This year, everything seemed to get in the way of sitting down to do this. I finally had to stop procrastinating.

I sat down to the computer with all my papers and by dinnertime, I was done! All the needed documents are in a priority package on the way to our tax preparer. The surprise, though, was that it took much less time than I thought it would, and that will spur me on toward next year.

I tell myself every year that I'll stay ahead of the task to make it simpler, but the truth is, every year, I put it off as long as possible. I think this year was a record. I've never liked or agreed with how my tax dollars are spent (Does anyone?) When we drive on washboard roads, have homeless on the streets, etc. etc., and get so little in return for decades upon decades of paying into the system, I find myself wondering, "What's the use?"

Well, I certainly don't want agents showing up at our house or sending collection letters with penalties, so again we file and hold our breaths in anticipation of the final paperwork. The only redeeming factor is that now I can sit down - guilt-free - and concentrate on my needlework without distraction. 

Shelly told me last night that we're supposed to get up to 9" of snowfall over the next couple days. Seriously?! I hope it's just warm enough that we get rain instead. Spring showers and all, right?

I'm working today, but plan to stitch a bit when I get home. For now, I'd better get changed into my work duds and be off about my business. I hope you have something fun planned for today. See you tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. Doing taxes is always irritating! lol
    But now you can relax & enjoy doing what you love.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Exactly! I'm back to needle dancing today. Did you get all that snow that was forecast? We sure got blasted. Handsome picked me up from work at 5, and the drive home was a real adventure. We're staying in now until Friday, for sure!
      Stay safe,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. Yes! About 2:30 the torrid rain turned into snow very fast
      It snowed until night like blizzard.
      We got about 6". I WANT SPRING!

      Delete
  2. I learned years ago to start a new file folder in January and then put all the papers pertaining to taxes in that. Then, when it comes time to do the taxes, it only takes me a few minutes to organize them and off to the accountant. Sure makes a chore that I abhor a whole lot easier.
    Snow supposed to be happening here too - argh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Same here, I have a whole folder I pull out, then sort, plug information into the worksheets I get from the accountant and print off reports from my checkbook reconciliations. It still takes me one-two days. This year was much simpler than years past. I'm glad it's done for now.
      Hope you don't get snow bombed like we did. My BIL said they're expecting it to make its way to their east coast state...accompanied by 50 mph winds. I guess we should count our blessings here!
      Stay safe!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. I guess running a small business means a lot of extra tax prep - had forgotten that aspect of it.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on how are tax dollars are spent.
    I have a 'Tax' envelope that I add papers to throughout the year and then I
    let the accountant take it from there.
    We are supposed to get some snow Thursday, but with all the high tech Doppler equipment
    our local station has they have no idea how much. So we will see Thursday morning.
    What could be better than quilt free needlework?
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      I do the same with my tax papers, but with what our guy charges, I do the presort to save a few bucks on our end. I hope you don't get the snow we're getting. (It's still snowing as I write this at midnight Tuesday) We're told we may get up to a foot of this white stuff, and that's on top of rain we got until about noon today. It's a mess of white with ice underneath. I think I'll just hole up here until it melts...or until Friday. I work three hours on Friday night. lol My needles and ladybugs are calling me!
      Big hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Sherry of createology: Late to the party again…hubby in ER and no idea what he has. Very Frustrating. Taxes are definitely a necessary chore. Gets easier when we have only Social Security income which is at the poverty level and no expenses to write off. Technically we don’t need to file but we have a loss carry forward we continue to record. Lovely Web Image.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna