April 5, 2024

Another Bug...

Another ladybug that will be turned into a brooch as soon as #3 is completed. I don't know where my head was yesterday when I said Handsome had a rehearsal. He only has them on Monday nights, but weather and a couple work days added to my schedule, for some reason my week is all turned around. Sigh.

I did stitch all day, but an unexpected chaotic event helped me decide to stand down for the night. You see, I was relaxed and stitching away...sort of in Zen mode. I had a cup of tea at my side, as I sat next to our window bench in the dining room. While I use my lighted magnifier, I like working with natural light, too, and this is my favorite spot for stitching.

I hadn't noticed that Claudette had decided to lie down on the bench, also enjoying her view out the window, but I'd soon know she was there. 

Handsome came over to check out my ladybug progress and told me that he'd seen some recently expired Japanese beetles on the floor near me. He complimented my work and left the room. I thanked him, but didn't give it another thought. Then, without warning, he appeared behind me with the hand vac to suck up the dead beetles...neither of us aware that Claudette was behind me...until...

As he came around the corner with that vac turned on, she made a beeline away from the sound...across my lap, knocking over my cuppa, and scratching my leg in her haste to exit the room and escape the vacuum monster. I darn-near had a heart attack. I'm sure it was like watching a cartoon!

First order of business was to make sure that there was no tea on my needlework. I let out a big sigh when I realized it was safe. Then to assess any other damage. There was tea all over the quilt I used to cover the cushion on the window bench. Tea had splashed all over my plastic storage containers for beads, etc. so I had to mop up all tha, plus the floor.

I had to move everything off the bench and then Handsome took the quilt downstairs to the washer, while I grabbed paper towels to clean up the floor and my containers. It wasn't until everything was "back to normal" that I realized how much adrenaline I expended during the whole event. I suddenly just needed to sit down and collect myself. I also declared that this must have been some kind of cosmic message to stop stitching for the rest of the day, so that's what I did.

I work tonight, but I'm going to get a good run at Ladybug #3 before I have to leave at 7:00 for a few hours. I've relearned a valuable lesson, too, by the way. NO BEVERAGES or food around my needlework anymore. It's something I had never done for years until lately, but this was a caution (without damage) to quit it, so I'll make sure my work isn't at risk again in the future.

Hoping to finish #3 today as I picked up another work shift tomorrow. I've learned that by the time I get home, I might be too gassed to stitch. Otherwise, I'll complete the third ladybug on Sunday. Either way, I'll soon have finished ladybugs to share with you. Here's to an uneventful day of needle dancing.

16 comments:

  1. Claudette probably never heard that kind of noise before.
    I'm glad you are ok & that nothing got damaged.
    I never have anything to drink other than water by my stitching.
    Hubby says I'm accident prone!
    Enjoy your Ladybugs.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      She usually skeedaddles to the upstairs (or downstairs, as the case may be) when I haul out the vacuum. I think Handsome just coming into the room and turning it on right behind her - because he didn't know she was there - was was startled her. I startled me, too! Once the tea cup and tea were strewn about, the cat had streaked out of the room, via my lap and the dust settled, he just stood there with his mouth open. I, on the other hand, may have uttered a few choice naughty words. I'll definitely never have cats, beverages, and needlework in the same room ever again. Lesson learned!
      Happy Weekend!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. I'm sure Claudette thought she'd lost one of her nine lives! I can just imagine the chaos. Just be sure you keep an eye on your scratch and disinfect it really well...you don't want it to become infected. And very glad your needlework escaped the flying tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Heck, so did I! It really was like a cartoon. Cat freaked, I cursed (multiple times), and Handsome wasn't sure what had just happened because once he realized he lit up the vac right behind her, it was too late to take it back. I have a scratch, but I've disinfected the spot, and it appears that I'll be able to keep my leg. lol I'm glad none of my work got wet, too!
      Happy Weekend!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. LOL! I have had cats (and one currently) that know the sound of the wheels of the unplugged vacuum coming down the hallway (actually even the sound of the handle just being touched) and freak out before I even get it plugged in. They certainly can go from 0 (sleeping) to 100 (tasmanian devil mode) in a matter of seconds. And it is frustratingly amazing what a horrendous mess can be made in a matter of seconds. So glad your needlework was not damaged! Happy stitching and happy working!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      I grew up with cats, but I forgot about the chaos factor. I love your description. Completely accurate in this case, by the way. In my case, one minute I was blissfully stitching, the next, wet, scratched, and having to move EVERYTHING to pull up a wet quilt and mop a floor. Then, I got to wipe off the plastic containers that hold my supplies. I was more than mildly peeved. Thankfully, my hard work wasn't affected. It took me a while for the adrenalin to settle. I'm okay now. Lesson learned (Handsome and me).
      Happy Weekend!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, that would have been a huge fiasco if the tea had gotten on your project. I love the ladybugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherri:
      That's the truth. As it was, it was like one of those silly cartoons...stuff flying as a cat exits stage right, and Handsome with the object that caused all the chaos, watching as it all unfolded. It definitely would have been worse if a week's worth of needle dancing had been ruined. Glad you like the project. I'm planning to share finished Ladybugs on Monday!
      Happy Weekend, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. I'm glad your work wasn't damaged, and I would have seen it as a sign to stop as well. Here's hoping you can recapture that zen state when you work on your projects today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary:
      Thanks, hon. It was a three-ring circus for a little while...clown car, flying acrobat, jugglers, and a ring master. I definitely prefer zen to all that!
      Happy Weekend!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry, I chuckled through this whole post. As someone that has cats I had several flashbacks while reading this post. I sure understand and have been through similar situations many, many times, just not including food or drink.
    I'm glad the ladybugs were unscathed and also that the ladies are still in the house.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Our snow has melted.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Shirley:
      You noticed that Claudette and Crystal weren't tossed out into the yard. I admit there was a fleeting moment where I was reevaluating my choices for them. It really wasn't her fault. She was ambushed by the vacuum monster, and I couldn't toss Handsome out either. I didn't immediately even look at him, but I can guarantee his jaw was hanging open as he wondered what had just happened. He didn't realize she was there, and all of a sudden all H.E.double hockey stix broke out. I would have laughed if I hadn't been doused and fretting about damage. I'm glad you caught my attempt at humor in my post. I was trying to find the amusing, rather than just rant.
      We got snow again yesterday, but the sunshine and warmer temps melted most of it today. I hope that's the end of it. Spring rain is just fine with me from now on.
      Happy Weekend!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  7. Sherry of createology: Not funny at the time but after the chaos it would make a good laugh. Thankfully no stitching ruined. Your scratched leg is the worst damage and watch for infection. You dear might be burning the candle at both ends. Rest and enjoy some down time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I tried to write humor into my post, as I was far enough away from the event to find some. If my work had been affected, I would have definitely been really upset. I treated the scratch my leg, too. As Monty Python said in the Holy Grail, "It's just a flesh wound." lol I think you might be right. I'm too old for burning both ends, as it were. I mostly did nothing until I had to work Friday night. Rested after and went to bed early. I work 10-4 today, and then I'm going to ask Handsome to make a mild adult beverage for me while I sit on my duff the rest of the night. I'll stitch all day Sunday...a true day of rest.
      Happy Weekend, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  8. Donna you are not old!! Seriously you are an inspiration. Besides being young means we don't have enough wisdom to know that burning the midnight oil is counter productive to living well lol.

    Love the story - very visual recounting that had me cracking up!! You dont need a cardiac stress test this year - looks like you passed!!

    If its possible to have a vote - let Claudette be near while you stitch. Bella is right behind now as i type this with her leg/paw resting on my side.

    You can have liquid with you - have one of those sealed lids preferably stick with water though, you never know when you could accidentally spit it out like laughing or coughing - nothing weird. However - FOLEX will remove most everything - its a carpet cleaner found at lowes or home depot - buy it by the jug and purchase the spray bottle. Its awesome stuff and safe for fabrics. Have used on 100yr old fabric to remove stains. The manufacturer knows that it works well for laundry/fabrics but they dont market it as such because of the level of EPA doctrine that they would be accountable for. I have been using it for double digit years now.

    seriously, glad everything is ok and your supplies remained dry - that too was a very visual horror image!!!

    love those ladybugs - they are so gorgeous. what critters are next?? will you do flowers??

    have a wonderful day!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna