April 24, 2024

Dinner With Friends...

I worked from 10-4 yesterday and then motivated over to a local restaurant for dinner with friends. This is the same group that worked tirelessly to host a fabulous 50th class reunion last summer. 

We rekindled our friendships - made new ones - and we all came to the conclusion that we need to see each other more often than we have in the past. We had a great time chatting about how we kept busy this winter, shared (more than) a few laughs, and have already picked a date next month to reconvene. 

I have to giggle when I look at this photo. Our friend, Mary hates having her photo taken, so she fairly hides when the camera comes out. If I'd notice this during the process, I would have probably said something, but I didn't this time, so I'll share my thoughts with you.

It doesn't matter if you're large or small, old or young, healthy or not. Photographs are the way that future generations will know we existed. A picture is a true snapshot of our lives at that instant the shutter closes. It's a recording of who we were right then.

My friends, please don't shy away from the camera. Embrace your place in history. Let your loved ones look back on your life through the images that live on after we're gone.

"Here endeth the lesson". I can hardly wait until next month, when we do this again, and next time, I'm going to stand next to Mary and prop her up if I have to. She's beautiful - inside and out - and I'm going to try to convince her she needs to radiate that out into the world.

7 comments:

  1. Well spoken thoughts Donna - and how true they are. I'm the one who is usually behind the camera and as a result there are few pictures of me. I really would like to have a nice picture of RC and I together but it's one of those things that never seems to get done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed dinner with friends. I like your message about photos. When my brother passed away, one sister-in-law mentioned that there were very few photos with her in them on the photo boards made for his funeral. Her sister responded that was because she had usually refused to be included in photos being taken. That upset her and she has gotten better about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy:
      I've heard that before, dear. It's a shame when people want to hide or be excluded. Some day, like your sister-in-law, they may come to regret it. I'm married to a retired commercial/industrial photographer. I've taken most of the photos in our albums the past 40 years, but he's always happy to be in the pictures. Luckily, we don't have any shy people in our family. Thanks so much for your comment.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. So true about the photos, they sure tell a story.
    And this is a lovely group picture.
    So nice that this will be a monthly adventure.
    You just have the best family and friends.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      I guess it's true that a "picture is worth a thousand words". They are great friends, and I'm happy that we'll get together more often, too. Life's too short. I've been blessed to be surrounded by loving and kind family and friends. Thank you, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. That looks like a fun time.
    Enjoy the next get together with them!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm - a puzzlement - I know I commented on this post yesterday but I guess it has winged on out to the hole in the ozone layer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna