March 1, 2024

My Day Went Sideways...

This is a quilt I created when we still lived in Florida. I made it for a guild challenge after Fezzik passed and I called it "For The Love of a Corgi". This piece hangs in my studio.

I told you yesterday that I planned to bake first part of the day, and then I'd finish the brooch I'm working on in the afternoon. So much for plans, I guess.

I did manage to bake four loaves of bread and a half dozen rolls. No stitching though, and definitely no dancing. Handsome had an appointment this morning, so it was my job to take care of the dogs. 

Tag has had trouble coming up and down the porch steps lately, so I carried him out, as well as back in. As the day progressed, he was having trouble walking. I chalked it up to our hard floors because his back feet kept slipping out from under him. When Handsome got home, we discussed it, and he turned around and went back out to buy a few larger area rugs to make for a more "grippy" surface for my Corgi.

By midday, Tag couldn't walk at all, so I called the vet's office and we got him in to be seen as their last appointment of the day. Long story short, it seems he's got something going on with his back. Perhaps a pulled muscle or a trauma we don't know about, but when the vet manipulated and gently pushed his back, Tag yipped. He was also shaking (like he was shivering), and the vet thinks that's from pain, too, as Tag doesn't have "issues" with visiting his doctors. Never has. We discussed xrays, but as this has only been going on today, we decided to wait on that. If he has another cause for his back end not working properly, I don't want to know it yet.

We were in their office nearly an hour. Tag got two different meds - one for pain and inflammation, and another for muscle spasms. He also got a laser treatment, and instructions for confinement for two weeks. No running around - although I doubt he could. He got a pill for the muscle spasms before we left their office, so he slept most of the evening after we got back home.

We're not concerned that it's degenerative myelopethy (DM) as their is no pain involved with that. (It's the same disease as ALS in humans.) If this were the case, his muscles would deteriorate from his back end to his front until everything just shut down. He does have pain, so we can rule out dreaded DM. Realizing that was a huge relief to me.

I'll be carrying him in and out for the foreseeable future, and pampering his frowsy, little butt for as long as he needs the extra TLC. Two different meds every day, and meals en suite. Heck, I'll probably be sleeping downstairs if he needs me, too. Whatever he needs. He's my best boy, and if I can will him better, he'll be up and back to his old self in no time. 

Now that I can keep him comfortable, knowing what he needs, I'll keep him close as I stitch today. I work my usual Friday late day shift, but in the meantime, I plan to complete the brooch. Fingers crossed for my project, and prayers for my little man would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Great way to start a new month, don't you think? sheesh. Happy March, y'all!

23 comments:

  1. Sigh. I'm so sorry to hear Tag is struggling. It's so hard when our beloved little fuzzy family members age...like yesterday's discussion on time... their devoted little lives seem to speed by so fast and suddenly they have gray muzzles and a slower step, while their happy little eyes and hearts keep them loyally wanting to stick by our side. Sigh. Hoping the meds do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dear Lois. I appreciate your comment so much. He'll be 13 in a month, and I'm understandably concerned. I hope we get more information on Monday from the vet.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Oh Donna, I'm so sorry Tag has some issues.
    Prayers for sweet Tag that he improves.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn, dear.
      From your mouth to God's ears. Thank you so much.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Hugs to you and Tag. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers for your precious fur baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwww - Poor Tag! I hope he gets better soon. Give him some special skritches from me, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dear MA. I sure will. He's getting lots of those right now.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. I’m so sorry to hear that Tag is having problems. We will definitely keep Tag and family in our prayers. Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear Andrea. We'll take all you can offer up!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  7. Prayers for Tag and you. I hope the meds will help him feel better soon. - Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sweet Kathy. Thanks so much. We sure do, too.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear about Tag's troubles. I will "will" him better with my prayers! I hope he is better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear Terri:
      Thank you so much! We appreciate your prayers.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  9. Sherry of createology: Donna Dear I am Praying for Tag and you. My special Little Tag Cutie please do not be in pain. Mom will take the very best care of you. I Love You so much. Smooches…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear Sherry:
      I think the meds are helping him a bit. He yipped when I tried to help him overnight, but seems to be a bit better today (at least in the pain dept.). He loves you, too.
      xoxo
      Donna (and Tag)

      Delete
  10. Dear Donna, sending hugs and prayers for Tag and all of you. It is so hard when our pets are not well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear Wanda:
      Thank you so much. Boy, that's sure the truth. I hate it when they hurt.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear this about Tag.
    I've got lots of prayers and good thoughts for that sweet boy.
    I hope the meds and lots of rest will show some great improvement soon.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear Shirley:
      Thank you so much. We appreciate every prayer lifted for our boy. I think the meds are helping, and our Monday vet visit might tell us a bit more about what's going on. I'll keep updates coming!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna