March 22, 2024

Green and Gold...

I've completed the stitching on this little frog, so I released it from the hoop and will set it aside until the other four are completed. Then, I'll finish them all at the same time, so they can mail in a group to their new homes.

MA asked me yesterday whether or not the purls were sharp when they're cut and if I would be concerned that the edges would cut my threads. Here's my reply, in case anyone else was curious:

The edges of the chippings from the brilliant check purls can be sharp when they're cut, but they're also fragile. If I pull an end of the cut coil, it easily unravels, leaving just the thread behind. Traditional methods call for doubled, waxed thread, to stitch down the chippings, and even the small bit of wax that's transferred to the thread protects it during the stitching process. 

Depending on the metals used - super pearl purl, check purls, smooth purls, bullion, rough purls, or others that are hollow and metal - they're all cut to length and then handled like beads, anchored by double, waxed threads drawn through the center of them. The resulting work is strong, beautiful, and enduring, which is important if you want heirloom-quality results.

The last session for our Northern Mockingbird class is tomorrow, so I'm not working on it again until after the class. I'll likely set up the other four frogs on the hoop today as I finish up some homekeeping tasks. 

I'll be baking bread and cookies over the weekend in anticipation of Handsome's return home, and I'd like to get a few loads of laundry behind me as well. I don't mind doing laundry at all, but I miss the ground floor laundry room we had in Florida. Some days these stairs could do me in. Stairs are about the only drawback for us to this wonderful farmhouse. Either way, to do the job, I have to deal with stairs, so deal I shall. I'll be back tomorrow to show you what's next under my needle.

Happy Friday, y'all!

9 comments:

  1. He's a handsome little fella! I spy with my little eye... is that a lady bug on the small pillow in the background, with your other lovely creations? I wouldn't mind seeing that collection, if you wouldn't sharing. I bet that's really pretty when the sunshine comes in and catches all the sparkle of those projects! Enjoy your weekend and Handsome's homecoming! (I was just thinking it must be so wonderful having him home this winter...God is so good in His timing, especially with this past fall/winter being a particularly difficult season for you. ❤)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      You've got quite the eye! I'll take a photo to show you what's on my cushion. Most are the first version of the class pieces that I went on to reproduce. That particular piece was one that I won years ago from the blog, Notes From Under the Mountain. I was so thrilled to win it, and wondered how such a beautiful piece was created. Now and know. Although that piece is a beetle, a ladybug is on my To Do list, fashioned after the inspiration of this piece.
      I am so happy Handsome has been home this winter, and of course saddened by the reason he's in Florida right now, but he is making music while he's there and that makes up for missing him. I'm looking forward to his return, for sure. He makes any difficult situation easier for me.
      Thanks for your note today, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Mr. Froggy is so cute.
    Interesting about the purls.
    I wish Handsome a safe trip home.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thanks, dear! I'll be sharing more about these wonderful fibers in the future. I do love working with them. I appreciate the good wishes for Handsome's travels. I'm looking forward to him being back home.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the great explanation - I was curious because I know oftentimes threads I use for regular embroidery will split with use. I've used a product called 'Thread Heaven' which is like a wax and it helps, particularly with nylon or silk threads. Don't know if it would work with what you're doing though.
    Wishing a safe trip home for Handsome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps. Forgot to say that I love the wee froggie!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, MA:
      I have and love Thread Heaven. I've been trying to use only the bee's wax, but truthfully, it gets hard quickly and I find myself warming it up in my hands so I feel like it's coating the threads. I'm sure Thread Heaven would work equally well. Thanks for the frog compliment and save travel wishes for Handsome.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Sherry of createology: Wee Froggie looks beautiful. Wonderful explanation on the cut purls as I had also wondered about them. Yes those stairs are a way to do us in with our knees and hips. Do you have any space to install an elevator? Safe travels for Handsome. Please try not to overdo. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      Thanks, dear. I sure to enjoy making them. I'll share more fibers in the future so you know how they work. (I'm still learning, but will do my best.) The farmhouses have little "bonus" space, as they were built by folks with completely utilitarian function in mind. The structure, while strong to have lasted over ten decades, was not designed to carry the weight of an elevator, I suspect. When the time comes, we'll find or build a one-story dwelling. That's one of the motivations for me to downsize our possessions. I don't want to move the "excess" again. Perhaps a yard sale will be in order this summer? Thanks for the travel wishes for Handsome. We both appreciate it.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna