March 21, 2024

A New Frog In Progress...

I'm back to working on goldwork frogs for a while. I took this photograph to show you what the brilliant check purl looks like. It's like a shiny, colored, hollow, square Slinky™. It will lose it's shape if pulled, so it's important not to let it stretch out while you work with it.

To use it, the "slinky" is cut into small bits called chippings. Once cut, it is attached like a bead to the project, typically with two strands of Gutermann waxed thread. I was just getting started on the chippings when I took this first photo.


This is where I stopped for the night. All the check purl has been attached, and my next step will be to begin filling in the belly sides and legs. I haven't decided what I'm going to use there yet, but I'll choose when I work on it again today. 

I have five giveaway frogs left to do, so my plan is to complete all of them and get them mailed out in the next few weeks. I'll complete this one today, and then set up the final four on one hoop. As always, I'll share photos to show you my progress.

13 comments:

  1. They are always so cute!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      You're will be on its way soon, my friend. I love working on them!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Looking good! I had wondered how you worked with the purl, so I appreciate the little detail. Needlework fascinates me. Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea:
      I'll try to show more images that explain the "fibers" in future posts. They're fun to work with, and the results are so stunning and sparkly. I'm so glad I've learned how to use some of them. Thanks for your comments!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Curious to know - are the 'chippings' sharp on the edges after they're cut? I would think they would tend to shred the thread as you work on it, but I haven't a clue if that's the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Great question! I've given a reply on Friday's post for you and others who might have wondered the same thing. Thanks for asking.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. My goodness, Donna! I am gobsmacked 😉 by the amount of tiny detail that goes into those lovely beaded creations! Kudos to you! Each of your frogs (ALL of your beautiful handiwork) is indeed a labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      There is a lot of detail to them, and as I learn more about technique, I'm striving to create them as carefully as I can. I'd estimate that each frog takes me about 16 hours to create. They are, indeed, a labor of love. Thank you so much, my dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Sherry of createology: Your Froggies are super cute and very detailed. I love seeing every one you create. Spring is Springing and lots of new growth everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      Thanks so much, dear. I love playing with combinations to make them unique, too. The first day of spring is punctuated with a snowstorm here. We're expecting about 3.5" overnight. Yippee. sigh. not really. The tulips in the kitchen garden are already peeking out because they're in a southern exposure, protected, and under the vent for the clothes dryer. Hopefully, it will warm up again and melt the snow soon. Robins are back, too. I may have to get some grubs to toss on the lawn to help them out.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. So pretty! Thank you for showing the check purl and the chippings. Now I have a better understanding of what you’re doing. It looks time-consuming, but so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna