March 20, 2024

Mockingbird Head Is Finished...

My mockingbird's head is finished, and I'm really happy with the results. My execution is a bit different from Clara's design, but that's what makes it mine, too. Rather than cut the smooth purl on the top part of his head into small chips, placed haphazardly (as with the bright check purls), I chose to place the smooth purls in more of a feather pattern you'd find on the real bird.

Here's a closeup of the head detail. I'm really happy with how the eye turned out, too.  Once I take pictures, I'm able to see things I don't see - even using a magnifier. I need to trim down some of the fuzzies on the felt, just for starters. That's what's obscuring sections of the silver that outlines the entire body and wing. I'll trim that tomorrow, and then set it aside until our next class session...unless I find that I just can't wait to work on more of the design!

The blue lines you see around the outline of the bird, as well as placement for the feet are drawn using a Frixion™ heat erasable pen. Even though they won't show on the finished brooch, I'll take my small iron to the edges when this is all finished to make the lines completely disappear before I tackle the task of finishing the back.

Next class session is Saturday, so I've got some froggy stitching to return to in the meantime. I'm keeping track of the names still on my list, so I'd better think about getting them done to be able to mail them out sooner, rather than later. See you tomorrow!

9 comments:

  1. Wow! Off to a perfectly beautiful start! I love your choices and can't wait to see your progress! I can just see a lovely little tree filled with an assortment of beaded bird beauties...😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      Thank you so much! I already have another bird (or three) in mind to continue this project! It's probably going to take a while to finish them all, though.
      xoox
      Donna

      Delete
  2. It looks great!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherry of createology: This is so creative and realistic. Your stitching is amazing dear. Happy stitching my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna