March 8, 2024

Busy Hands, Busy Mind...

I grabbed all the saved veggie scraps I'd frozen over the past month (from cleaning vegetables for meals), and popped everything into my stock pot yesterday morning. I topped it off with spring water and a bit of salt, and then let it simmer all day.

Shortly before dinner, I strained all the scraps, and jarred the broth. Into the pressure canner for 20 minutes while we prepared our evening meal, and turned it off as we sat down to eat. It depressurized and cooled so we could pull the jars before going to bed.

I got a lot done yesterday (and even took a little nap late day), and kept my mind busy. It's the best I can do right now, so I'm not just sitting and missing Tag. The Kid and her mama are great diversions, as are Claudette and Crystal, but it's still best for me to keep moving. I can safely say it was a good day, and I know each day will get a little easier.

These three quarts of vegetable broth will go into the pantry to be used with my home-canned soup starter, or in some other dishes. The fact that they were made with kitchen vegetable scraps was bonus. All the good parts of the vegetables made it into the pot. Nothing went to waste, and I really like that.

I'll be thinking about Dad today. It would have been his Birthday, but I know even though he's not here, he's celebrating. That makes me happy, but I miss him, too. Happy Heavenly Birthday, Dad.

I work at 4 today, and I have a lot I'd like to accomplish before I have to leave. I'll be back tomorrow to check in on everybody. What do you have planned this weekend? I'll tell you tomorrow what I'll be doing. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are keeping busy, it helps.
    I'm sure the other pets miss Tag too. :(
    Happy heavenly Birthday to your Dad.
    Nothing much planned this weekend, we lose an hour of sleep! lol
    Can't wait for it to warm up & get out in the yard for cleanup.
    Take care.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I agree. Busy-ness helps. Carly usually picks up everyone's dishes after they eat. Twice, she's turned toward where Tag's kennel used to be to take up his dish. She's a little confused that he's not there. I wish they could have seen his body after he passed. Then they would know he wasn't coming back here. I have told them, but how could they understand? They only know his name when I say it. The rest is just "blah, blah, blah" to them.
      Not looking forward to the time change. I really dislike the practice to begin with. Why not just leave the clock alone? sigh I don't know about you, but we had rain here all afternoon and into late night. We're supposed to get high winds again for Saturday and Sunday. Oh, joy.
      Thanks, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. I have no doubt that your Dad is celebrating his birthday with Tag. Your veggie stock looks wonderful. Wish we had the freezer space to save veg scraps until we had enough to make stock, but at least Resident Chef made some out of the turkey carcass he cooked last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I think so, too. Wouldn't that be nice? Thanks about the stock. I like not having to go to the store to buy it when I can make our own here at home. I save all the fat I trim off our beef, too, and have that frozen. Soon, I'll gather all that and render it for tallow to use for cooking. I find I really do like the mentality and practices of "the old ways". I have better control of what's in our food, and I really do prefer it to all the additives. How wonderful that RC made turkey broth. Perfect for homemade soups or stews with the leftovers.
      Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Sherry of createology: Your vegetable stock looks rich with flavor. How wonderful that you are so creative to fill your Hickory Hill Farmhouse Pantry. The Good Life Wife…Blessings Dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry, dear.
      I included potato skins from peeling potatoes, so there's starch in it, but I think that will be a nice addition to some of the stews I make. Next time, though, I'll likely use the potato skins in other ways so the broth isn't as cloudy. Either way it will be plenty tasty. I do enjoy adding it to our pantry stock. Reminds me that it's nearly time to do a few more batches of meat and our Hickory Hill Hickory Syrup!
      Happy Weekend, girlfriend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna