March 7, 2024

Sweet Gifts...

Actually, dear friends, I'm doing better than I expected to by now. It's only been a few days, but thinking about Tag, reading and responding to your comments here - and the hundreds on Facebook - have really been a great help.

Knowing that others share my grief and sadness, and that many are praying for my healing has helped more than you know. Also having unshakable faith that I'll be reunited, not only with my Taggart, but with all our loved ones when we're called home is very comforting.

I really don't want anyone to feel more sadness with this post. That's not my intent at all. I have my boy tucked away in my heart, knowing that he isn't suffering any longer.

For those who wonder what happened, our vet believes that he suffered from IVDD (Intervertebral Disc Disease), with probably a Degenerative Myelopathy (DM) component as well. If you don't know about IVDD and would like to understand what it is, HERE is a link. I also have a DM link HERE if you aren't familiar with this devastating disease. It's the canine version of ALS/Lou Gehrig's Disease and it's insidious, striking many corgis. Once there is a cure for one, there will be a cure for the other (DM/ALS). 

Tag's breeder lied to me when I first inquired about her litters, telling me that she didn't have DM in her bloodlines. I learned differently months later, so I sent for a test kid from the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA). I returned the swab as directed, and the results came back that Tag carried both genes for DM, making him an "at risk" dog. Symptoms don't usually show until dogs pass their tenth birthday. He showed no symptoms until last week, although Tag had pain, and there is no pain associated with DM. The dogs feel nothing at all.

We are not aware that Tag did anything to hasten an injury in the past few weeks. He was getting slower coming up the porch stairs, and I frequently carried him down to get out, and back up to go into the house. He'd quit coming to the second floor months ago, choosing to lie at the bottom of the stairs to wait for me to come back down. Other than that, we hadn't seen him falter, fall or yip in the course of his day, so we can't attribute his rapid decline to a specific event.

We can only surmise that this condition just got worse as he grew older, and there was nothing to be done at his age. Surgery would have been a painful process with a long recuperation that would have held no guarantees he would ever walk again. It would have been selfish to put him through that. So, the tearful decision was made to hold him close, give him treats (ginger snaps from the vet), and set him free.

From my friend, Sandy M.

This is an AI image that my friend, Sandy generate to share with me. I haven't played around with any of those programs, but I've seen other images Sandy has done through this medium and they're pretty impressive. I love that she did this for me. It's not an actual photograph of Tag, but it's a close likeness, for sure.

Shared by my friend, Laura J.
My friend, Laura sent this one to me. This is where I truly believe he is...in our Savior's arms...and with all the much-loved pets, family and friends who have gone before him. I know they'll be waiting for us in due time.

Thanks again for all your wonderful comments. I wish my blog posts had just a "like" button, as with Facebook, so you could acknowledge, but not feel compelled to comment to these posts. I suppose I could just turn off comments for this one, but I'll leave the settings as they are. I only hope that this post will bring a smile to your face, and you, too, might feel less sad over Tag's passing. He lived his entire life making people happy. I don't think he'd want that to change now. 

We love you all, friends.

12 comments:

  1. ((((((HUGS))))))
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this post, Donna. Tag has been on my mind all week. He was loved by so many and is truly missed. Continued prayers, love and hugs to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Wanda:
      Your words are very comforting, my friend. I know I shared him with many, so many are as heartbroken as I am. Thank you for the continued prayers. They really help a lot.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Such sweet tributes shared by your friends, especially the last one. I truly believe we will meet our beloved furry family again one day so you have that to look forward to (but not too soon!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I agree. The last one brings me the most comfort. Not too soon, but we will be together again.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Tag will be so very missed. Thinking about and praying for you still. Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea. I know I'm not the only one missing him right now. It helps knowing that he's no longer in pain. It's a lot quieter around the house, too.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Sherry of createology: Very beautiful and thoughtful tributes of Tag for you dear. Blessings…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I agree, dear. He'll be missed by many more than just our household. He was a big soul.
      Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna