March 18, 2024

St. Patrick's Day...

I planned to work on my mockingbird all day yesterday, but alas...the best laid plans...

Handsome is going to Florida today for the funeral of a dear friend of ours, so instead, there was prepping to do so he could pack, and I wanted to make a nice dinner for him before he left for restaurant food for the next week.

I decided on a traditional Irish dinner featuring a loaf of homemade Irish Soda Bread to accompany corned beef, cabbage, carrots and red potatoes. I placed everything into a large dutch oven and let it cook all afternoon. 

The bread was easier than most varieties I bake. This took about fifteen minutes to mix and forty five to bake. No rise time at all. Irish Soda bread is tasty, but not as flavorful as some of the others either, but it was a perfect side for the rest of our meal. I later had a small piece, toasted, with peanut butter. Yum!

So, today the plan is to sit down to my needlework frame and get in some needle dancing to start the mockingbird. Our second - and last - session is next Saturday, so I want to get up to speed for that class. I'll share what I accomplish today when I see you again tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. That bread looks wonderful! Can't remember the last time Resident Chef made soda bread...once we got our sourdough starter he's used that pretty well exclusively. Safe travels to Handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry of createology: How quickly St. Patrick’s Day has come and gone. Your dinner with Soda Bread looks delicious. Happy Needle Dancing Dear…

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! I also made that dish.
    Time to take the St, Pat's decorations down & put up Easter, as it will be here fast.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna