March 23, 2024

Goldwork Pieces...

Today, I'm happy to answer Lois' question about the piece at the top of my cushion. First, let me say that the gorgeous cushion is the creation of my dear blog friend, Dawn Edmondson of The Feathered Nest blog and shop. She has a way with natural materials, and I purchased this piece from her when I first started blogging. 

The Lucky Clover, Sacred Heart, and Immaculate Heart were all the first pieces I made from the classes I took with Clara of Clara Stitching. I've come a long way in technique since that first piece (the clover). I'll likely make another soon to show myself how different another would look from the first.

I also added my koi and first frog to the display for this image. Afterward, I returned both to their fish bowl display. These are all the small class pieces I've done, but I also have my goldwork wreath framed under glass in my studio, and my blue tit bird ornament also hangs in my studio.


Here's a closeup of the beautiful beetle I won in a drawing - also when I first started blogging - from Lee Westfield of Notes From Under the Mountain blog. I tried to link to her blog today, but the link is having issues. Suffice it to say, she's made some extraordinary pieces through the years, and this one is a true treasure to me.

Now that I know more about goldwork, I know that she used red brilliant check purls and black beads on this piece. There is also a piece of suede for the upper body, and the piece is padded. She stitched on a ground of dupioni silk and then mounted the piece to card stock.

Lois thought she was seeing a ladybug in yesterday's photo, but this is what she saw. Funny though, as I've been contemplating a ladybug ever since I learned goldwork...all inspired by this piece Lee created.

So, if you're reading this, Lee, please know that I treasure this beetle as much now as I did the day it arrived. The difference is that now I understand the skill and time it took to create it, as well as the techniques you used (thanks to my tutor, Clara Warschauer of Clara Stitching).

Now, I'll be moving the ladybug up in my goldwork To Do list. Soon there will be a "Loveliness of Ladybirds" in my studio. Isn't that neat (and appropriate) that that's what a group of them is actually called?

10 comments:

  1. They are all fabulous!
    Yes, a group of Ladybugs is called Loveliness.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thank you so much! Isn't it perfectly sweet that a group of them has such an appropriate name?
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing more about that special collection! And I didn't know about a Loveliness of Lady Bugs... that is lovely 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      I'm always happy to share. I love getting questions that inspire new posts. I learned that designation, too. I hadn't heard of it before. I looked it up for my post. I'm glad you like it, too.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. I like them all, but I think the froggie is my favourite. That might last until I see the ladybug. Didn't know a group of them was called a loveliness either...fun to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I'm so glad you love your frog! Ladybug coming soon. I was just discussing it with Clara today. We both learned something new, dear. I had to look it up to find out what a group of them was called.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. These are wonderful! It adds a whole new perspective of art. I hope you have hummingbirds on your list. Those flashy fellows would be good candidates. - Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy:
      Thank you! I just love the fact that they're dimensional and shiny. Must be my inner magpie. lol I agree. Hummingbird and woodpecker are on my list, actually! Gaaahhhh! I need more time! hee hee
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Sherry of createology: I just love learning from you. I am amazed at your skills and the fact that you learn the techniques and tools to create such beautiful pieces. I shall enjoy following your ideas and creations. Thank you my friend. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      Oh, thank you, dear. You're always so kind and sweet to me. You know as well as I that we still have much to learn, and we're both so willing. I love seeing all your watercolors. They're truly lovely, and my squirrel sits right where I can see it every day. It's a treasure that makes me smile every time I look at it. (heart) I'm so glad you're here to share my projects and your feedback. It keeps me going. Thank YOU!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna