May 22, 2023

With Two Cats In The Yard...

 
 Much of my day was spent outdoors on Sunday. I moved our outdoor furniture out of storage, washed everything on the lawn, and once it was all was dry, Handsome helped me move it all up to the porch.
 
 
Of course, I always have a little extra help. Do you remember the circa-1970s song "Our House"? I think of it whenever I see Claudette and Crystal hanging out in the yard. (Sorry if that causes you to hum the song all day now.) The girls think we did all of this for them!

Once this much was finished, I'd stopped for the day. I had done a little weeding in the kitchen garden first, but as the weather got warmer, I opted to do porch work instead. I'll keep weeding a bit at a time, as my knee precludes me accomplishing very much from a kneeling position. Consequently, there's a lot of bending over, pulling and puffing. Slow and steady wins the race.

 
The lilacs are in full bloom now, so whether I'm outside or indoors with the windows open, the breeze carries their sweet fragrance into the house. As you can see, our volunteer black raspberries are lush this year, so I know there will be jam made once their fruit ripens. There are two or three new patches in the field, too, that will be harvested at the same time. Something to look forward to, for sure.

Handsome and I calculated that I need just over three yards of soil for the raised beds, but I'm going to make a call today to order four. That way I'll have plenty to put into my pots, too. I don't have any appointments on the book this week, so I'm going to do some gardening, and continue preparing for the sale in Larsen on the 3rd. 

I hope the weather is nice where you are. Here's wishing you a wonderful week, filled with possibilities. 

10 comments:

  1. I sure do have that song in my head!, right when I read the topic! :)
    The cats DO thank you for setting up the porch for them. (giggle)
    I've been doing weeding here & there also, hard on the back.
    Peonies are late this year, just now growing big, found a volunteer one too!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      You may have noticed how often I like to use song titles for my posts. I think of this one all the time with our two girls. Between my hands, knees and back, I'm a walking wreck after being in the gardens for a few hours. I'm taking a break today. How lucky to have a volunteer peony! More beautiful flowers for you!
      Enjoy this gorgeous weather, my friend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Ah...that is a very, very, very fine house... (-; The porch looks so welcoming and I'm sure the cats love it. I couldn't help but wonder if you see their little eyes staring in at you through the windows at night. That could be a little startling. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      Don't laugh but I bought them a vintage basinette on tiny wheels so they'd have a sweet place to sleep on the porch during the summer. I parked it in front of the living room windows, and yes, I do catch them looking (longingly) in the windows. I wish I could bring them in, but Handsome is dead set against it. sigh I actually giggle, as I think it's a bit cute. Thanks for your note, dear. You obviously know the song, too. lol "Now everything is easy 'cuz of youuuuuu..."
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. I'm sure the kitties appreciate the comfie porch, especially now that they've been banned from the house. Don't overdo on the weeding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      My hands, back and knees are protesting, so I'm giving the day off. Those girls love the new accommodations. A raccoon has been visiting the barn at night, looking for their food, so when they moved to the porch, I heard them growling at him. Now, I take their food up after they've eaten rather than leave it out all night like I used to. I don't need a raccoon moving in, too!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Sherry of createology: Oh yes the song will be on revolve all day. Claudette and crystal like what you have done with the comfy beautiful porch. Time to sit and enjoy throughout the “Days of Summer”. La la la…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I'm loving the responses to my musical title! hee hee. Handsome and I eat breakfast and lunch on the porch now. We're enjoying every second of the beautiful weather. Winter comes around way too fast for my liking.
      Happy Tuesday, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. That porch is beautiful. And those two girls will enjoy it all summer.
    I could almost smell lilac as I was reading this post.
    Raspberry jam, oh boy. It's so nice to have an appointment free week to just
    keep doing what you want to do.
    Enjoy the week.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      I agree. No appointments so we can just stay home. Heaven. I love being here. It's the best. Wishing you a wonderful day/week, too.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna