May 23, 2023

Tuesdays With Tag - Jim Dandy...

 
Hi, Everybody! 

Just me, playin' "Farm Dog" again these days.

Mom and Dad have been workin' in the yard, and lately, Mom's concentratin' on the kitchen garden next to the back door. This bed has really gotten away from her since the "Invasion of the Hollyhocks", so it really needs some serious attention.

Today bein' the 23rd of May, you'll notice that the hollyhocks are already up over my distinguished head. They're gonna be tall ones again this year. The problem is that they propagate like bunnies. They're in the back of the flower bed...in the front of the flower bed...and they've choked out even the chives and mint! They're like Audry II on Little Shop of Horrors! We need to get 'em back under control.

As much as Mom loves doin' the work, her knees and back protest, so we're back here in short spurts. At this rate, it's gonna take another week to clear it out, but it will be worth it. When she's done, there'll only be controlled hollyhocks, hostas, lavender, delphiniums, and some ground cover that smells like thyme. Then she might move the bird bath back in where it used to be. But, maybe not.

Where it is right now, it's kind of in the open. If she moves it into the flower bed, a certain someone whose name begins with "Clau" and ends with "dette" might be sorely tempted to harass the birds. See, one of her favorite spots is under the cool umbrella leaves of the hollyhocks. Mom says it's a perfect hidin' place away from us, but it would also be a perfect spot to ambush avian visitors, and we don't want that! I guess it might have to stay where it is.

Anyhoooo...between supervisin' Mom, guardin' the back door, and lyin' around in the grass, I'm just lovin' every second of this weather. This could be a year-round situation for me and I'd be one happy Corgi. How about you? Is it nice where you're livin'? I'd love to know. In the meantime, if you're lookin' for me, I'll be in the yard.

I'll see you again in seven. 'til then... 
"Be A Good Dog."

8 comments:

  1. Being in the yard is a good place to be Tag, but you must remember not to run away. Mom's knees and back won't let her chase you so make sure you take care of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss MA:
      No worries. Mom only takes my lead off for pictures. Most of the time I'm attached to a 15' long trainin' lead that's anchored in the yard. That way I can catch some rays, supervise her work and still move around a little. I actually don't mind it. The other bonus is that Mom gives me a snuggle whenever she walks past me. It's the best.
      Smooches!
      xoxo
      Tag

      Delete
  2. The kitchen garden sounds wonderful.
    And leaving the bird bath where it is, is a good thing. I know first hand about those
    sneaky little creatures pouncing on the unsuspecting.
    You sure are one busy yard boy with the supervisin and guardin.
    I'm loving every second of this weather also. I worked in the yard all day today and will
    do it all over again tomorrow and probably the next day too.
    Enjoy the week.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss Shirley:
      Mom used to grow all our basil, chives, mint, lavender and rosemary in the kitchen garden. Then she planted hollyhocks and they invaded. Now all those things will be growin' in our veggie garden instead. She learned her lesson. There won't be hollyhocks growin' over there! We think you're right about the bird bath, too. We love our birds and even though we also enjoy our cats, they won't get our help to hurt the birds. They've been real good so far. They only brought one dead mouse to Mom, and Mom's hopin' it was the one that made chewin' noises in our walls all winter. Have fun outside. We will, too!
      Smooches!
      xoxo
      Tag

      Delete
  3. Fabulous picture of you, Tag! All that green makes you look glorious. You and mom need to come to Ga to give me lesson on hollyhocks. I’ve planted them for the last 3 years and killed every one! Hollyhock and delphinium just won’t grow for me. I guess you and mom have the magic touch! Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss Andrea:
      Mom said you you should send us an email with "Hollyhocks" in the subject line and she'll send you a bunch of seeds from our plants. She saves them every year. Maybe these will grow in Georgia for you. It wouldn't hurt to try! Use the "email" link in our sidebar.
      Smooches,
      xoxo
      Tag

      Delete
  4. Hollyhocks remind me of my Gramma.
    She used to grow them by her shed, & had a whole garden of Gladiolas.
    Have fun in this awesome weather Tag!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tag it sounds like you are doing a good job keeping track of all the work your mom and dad are doing outdoors. Tell them I get it with Hollyhocks...they can certainly take over a garden!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna