May 17, 2023

A Good Day To Garden...

 
I bet you weren't expecting to see an image of pies, were you? I made two rhubarb custard pies on Monday. One was for here and the other went up to Andy and Shelly to enjoy. As I didn't take any photos of what I'm working on in the yard, I figured you might like to see pies instead. 
 
For those who might be interested, my pie crust and pie recipes were both out of the original red and white cover Betty Crocker's Cookbook. Nothing like the old recipes to make your palate sing. It's a good thing we have a healthy crop of rhubarb, as I suspect I'll be making more pies in the near future.

As I said, I worked in the yard today. I'm planting seeds and placing them in my makeshift "mini greenhouse". I have a clear sided plastic tote that is housing the containers of started seeds. I just have to water them to keep them moist, and once they germinate, harden them off to go into my planters.

I started seeds for bush beans, four different varieties of tomatoes, basil, fennel, carrots, bib lettuce and marigolds. I also bought potato grow bags - and spuds that started to grow in the pantry. I've set them aside and will plant them as soon as I bring home more soil. 

I purchased a medium size stock tank a few weeks ago, and once I've prepared that with drainage, mulch, soil and compost, my started tomatoes, marigolds and carrots will likely be planted in it. I need to get some green pepper plants, too. Later, I'm going to plant squash and perhaps white pumpkin. We'll see.

I'm going to run out for soil today and get to work on my raised garden stock tank. It's supposed to be another sunny day, so I'd like to get more done outside.

I think I told you I'm going to have a couple tables at the Purge & Splurge Sale event at Primitive Gatherings on June 3rd, so the next rainy day I'll be pulling more fabric, books, quilt kits and other sewing items that I would rather sell than store. I'm looking forward to more floor space in my studio. Anything I don't sell will be donated to good causes.

I'm ready to get my day going, so I'm off for my morning cuppa. If you're looking for me, I'll likely be in the yard for the better part of today. See you tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm, those pies look delicious!
    I am also going to do more weeding today.
    Not going to be as warm today.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thanks! I admit, the pie tastes pretty good. Just like springs of my childhood. You're right. It was chilly. I had to put on a sweatshirt, even though I was in full sun. brrr!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. The pies look very inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm - those pies look wonderful! I learned to cook out of that good ol' Betty Crocker cookbook and it's still the only one I would keep if I had to get rid of all the others. I've given it many times as a wedding shower gift although I suppose in this day and age most brides wouldn't want such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Thanks! It's funny you would say that about the cookbook. I have so many, and I almost wrote in my post that if I had to get rid of most of them, the Betty Crocker cookbook would definitely be a keeper! I think most young couples today would rather do food services like Hello Fresh™. I can make a tasty dinner from pantry to plate in a half hour. I don't know how much quicker they want it, but we don't use a microwave around here. I can do it without one.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. We have a microwave and Resident Chef uses it a lot. We don't have any of the more modern 'conveniences' like an Insta-Pot. And yes, Betty Crocker is definitely a keeper.

      Delete
  4. Did someone say pie? I loved all those cookbooks back in the day, just can't part with them.
    I worked in the yard today wearing a winter coat, the wind was strong. It felt like an October day.
    I hope you get a rainy day before the purge and splurge.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      I think I'm going to have to devote time to the studio before the rains are forecast. So far it looks to be clear at least for another two weeks, and I need to get everything pulled before then. One more day in the garden and then I think I'll be back upstairs for a while. I agree about the weather. It was cold here, too. I planted lettuce seeds, so they should like the cooler temps. Fingers crossed.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna