May 25, 2023

A Little Bit Of This...

I baked my usual loaves of Farmhouse Sandwich bread yesterday, but made a different shape, too. This loaf is for my aunt and uncle, and Uncle prefers round loaves. I place the risen loaf into my Pampered Chef large covered baker and look how it turned out! I'll definitely be doing more of these in the future.

 
Even though it's only been a few days, my basil seeds have already sprouted. I'll need to thin them as they get bigger, but I'm hoping I'll be able to transplant the culls into my larger raised beds. Oh! I also planted the garlic and onions, too. The roots had developed even more overnight, so I think they're ready to be put into the soil. I'll keep watch over them for the next few days to see how they grow. More photos soon.

All the dirt for my raised beds will be here Friday. The price per yard was reasonable enough, but whew! The delivery charges almost equaled my five yard order. I'm glad I'll be able to amortize the cost over the coming growing seasons. It's added incentive to be extra productive, too.

Once the soil mix is delivered, I'll get right to planting my seeds, and I'll likely purchase a few started plants to populate parts of the beds right away - especially my planned marigold border to keep pests away. I'm going to have to decide what I want as a barrier, too. Bella is a tomato thief, so I'm going to have to protect them when they start producing. I'm glad I have a little time to contemplate that.

So, that's all for a bit of this and a bit of that for today. I'll be back tomorrow to share what I can accomplish today. See you then!

10 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, that bread looks delicious!
    I have started some Sunflowers in the house & an heirloom Tomato, so I planted them this week.
    Had to wait for the cold nights to be over. :)
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I bet your sunflowers and tomatoes will be beautiful this year! Still a bit chilly, but warm weather can't be far off. Won't it be wonderful?
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. That bread looks amazing! Almost too pretty to cut in to. They called for heavy frost here again last night but don't know if we got it. Resident Chef has been hauling his plants inside every night just in case. Most definitely below seasonal temperatures here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      My aunt sent a text after she and uncle cut into it. They said it was delicious. (yay!) You're still getting frost?! yikes. I bet you're looking forward to warmer weather, too.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. You make the most beautiful breads! I’ve been working in my yard and in my garden too. We’ve gotten lots of rain, so everything is beautiful right now. I have lots of blooms on my veggies, but so far not as much development as I’d like to see. We have a fenced in yard for the dogs, but we had to add a fence around the garden too. Bolt ate my entire zucchini plant, seriously trimmed back my catnip (and promptly got sick in the house), and steals any tomatoes and peppers he can reach. I caught him stealing blueberries, raspberries, and goji berries too last year, so those have been included in the fencing! Have fun with your garden! Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea:
      Thank you, dear. I follow an Instagram account where the breadmaker is also an artist. She paints her loaves with food safe coloring before baking and they look amazing when they come out of the oven. I actually purchased her recommended supplies and plan to try it myself soon. I'll share photos if I get brave enough!I know I'm going to have to keep the dogs away once my plants start fruiting, because, like Bolt, they'll be all over the tomatoes. Bella loves the fruit, too, but so far, she hasn't discovered them. Hope you get a better harvest this year. Hugs to Bolt! ;-)
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Sherry of createology: You will have such fresh veggies and greens and less trips to the store. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I sure hope so. I'm not sure how much of a green thumb I'll have, but if effort and dedication count, I hope to can lots this summer and fall. Less trips to the store would be awesome!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. The bread looks wonderful as always. To beautiful to cut into.
    So true with the price of delivery. I just had twelve yards of mulch delivered earlier in the month, they are only three miles from me, it sure costs a lot to go three miles.
    I hope the WMBBD is doing well.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      Thank you, dear. Handsome and I had sandwiches from it today, and it was tasty. That delivery kind of bothered me, but we can't do it ourselves, so I'm mentally amortizing it over the next few years. It won't hurt as much. Bella went to the vet for stitch removal today, and Handsome was shocked to hear that our girl had apparently already removed them herself overnight. Fortunately, the vet said she's healed beautifully, so all is well on that front. Now for those errant hormones to settle down!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna