May 18, 2023

Garden Helpers...

 
I was back in the garden yesterday. I had helpers, too. While Crystal chose to observe at a distance, Tag was on a long yard lead, and Claudette was right in the thick of it all. When she got bored, she simply parked in the shade under an old Radio Flyer™ wagon I have under the honeysuckle bush just past Tag in this picture. That black coat of hers has a tendency to solar load, so she prefers the shade.
 
 
Much of my time was spent deciding where I want the stock tank to be situated, and assembling the first of two raised beds. The second one should arrive today and it will sit toward the front of this layout (where Claudette is heading). As an aside, it's hard to believe that Handsome and I mowed the lawn only two days ago. It looks like it needs to be mowed again already!
 
I found the green galvanized raised bed on Amazon for only $61 and change, and it measures eight feet by four feet by 1 foot high. It's going to hold a lot of plants! Once I finished the assembly and tended to other parts of my garden, I spent the rest of the time drawing a layout for where the plants will be placed.

 
I thought I'd share something I found in one of the gardening channels on Instagram. See the green disc? It's actually the lid for a buried valve box usually used with in-ground irrigation systems. They're 9" tall and about 5" in diameter. 
 
They're called "NDS Round 6 in. Valve Box and Cover, 9 in. Height, Black Box, Green ICV Cover". You can click HERE (I'm not an affiliate) to purchase your own, if you're tending a garden, too. Of course, the better deal is to purchase them in pairs, which is what I did. HERE is the listing for the biodegradable bags, too.

 
The video I watched explained that this particular gardener had about forty of them in all the best of her vastly more involved garden. The lid just lifts off to reveal a hollow area with the bottom open to the soil. She uses them with biodegradable bags to compost kitchen scraps. You don't even have to turn the soil or do anything further to the contents. Mother Nature (and worms or larvae) do all the work. 
 
You can see I already have a small bag in there now. I purchased enough to put one in each of the small beds, and two in the stock tank and raised beds. I think they'll be extremely useful. 

I've got errands to run while I wait for the second raised bed to arrive, so I'm going to grab my morning cuppa and then be off about my business. The sun is shining and the forecast is for it to warm up. I'll share more tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. Hmm. This was a very interesting read...those mini compost units are interesting, and I look forward to seeing how they work out. The raised bed units from Amazon seem like a really good deal. Will someone be delivering soil to fill all of those raised beds? Have fun playing in the dirt! I like Mr. Squirrel's new location. (-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      I'm having three yards delivered in the next week. I'll use our tractor (with a front loader) to fill the planters. I learned a long time ago, "never do by hand what you can accomplish with a machine". lol I actually prefer the squirrel there, too. I like having a little vegetation around the base.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. It looks like a wonderful set up. Raised bed are really nice. The back breaking part is adding the bags of soil and compost, then you can use a stool or some type of seat to sit while you tend it. Keep us updated on your compost experiment. I read about keyhole gardens that us a tube of chicken wire buried into the dirt to add the scraps for composting and also trench composting. I just use an old planter right now but it has not worked very well. The idea of letting it compost where it is needed sounds ideal. Good luck! - Kathy (in my little garden with my dogs and cats is my happy place)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy:
      See my reply to Lois about loading the beds. Just assembling that one nearly killed me. I'll use a machine to fill them. lol I'll certainly let you know how the compost containers work. I've heard of the keyhole idea, too. I liked these because they look good and seem simple for this relative beginner. Enjoy time in your garden, too, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. I've never seen those compost 'bins' before but they seem like they'd be a good idea. Will be interested to hear more about them as the summer goes on. Alas no garden for me to try them out though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Yeah. They're actually supposed to be used for in-ground irrigation systems to give access to junctions in the piping, but I love this repurposing idea. I'll keep you posted on how they work for me.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. These raised beds seem to be very popular. Best garden helpers too. Looking forward to seeing the progress as summer rolls on.
    You can really tell the size of that squirrel now.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      I have a knee that's well overdue for a replacement, so any time I don't have to kneel is a good time for me. I think I need one of those wheeled seats to help me out, but for now I just carry a lawn chair with me. That's good enough for now. Yes. That's one huge squirrel! lol
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. You are going to have a fantastic garden!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I sure hope so. I haven't had a "real" garden since I was a young bride. I hope I don't screw it up. lol Enjoy the sunshine!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna