May 24, 2023

Regenerating...

Recently, when I looked in my veggie bin in the pantry, I had a Vidalia onion that was getting soft and had sprouted. I decided to let it go for a while, and a few days ago I decided to see just how many new onions I had growing inside that skin.

 
I started peeling back all the layers and by the time I was finished, there were four distinct plants growing inside. I finished separating them and placed them in a jar with just a bit of spring water so the new onions could sprout roots. 

I change the water twice a day, and yesterday morning each onion had new roots. I'll give it another couple of days, and then these will also be planted in my metal sinks in my garden.

 
 
I also pulled a head of garlic, separated all the cloves and then peeled each one. Some of the cloves already had green sprouts, but they needed roots, too.
 
I grabbed the sweet, little bowl that used to belong to Shelly's great grandmother. Shelly gifted it to me, saying that it belonged in the farmhouse. I use it quite often, and it seemed perfect for this purpose. Again I added spring water and floated the cloves in it. After only one day, the garlic had sprouted new roots and tops
 
Most garlic is planted in the fall, but I know it can be planted in the spring, too. I decided to give it a try and see how it does through the summer. I'll likely cover it when the weather is particularly hot, but other than watering early morning or late day, it won't get further special treatment.
 
So, from what some might call a rotting onion, and a sprouted head of garlic, I'll end up with four more onions and six new heads of garlic. This can also be done with celery and potatoes. I'll likely salvage the roots from the next head of celery I purchase, and all the potatoes that sprout before we use them. I kind of love this process of not wasting food. What do you think?
 

12 comments:

  1. Great idea, no waste!
    I've done that with green onions & celery, it really does work!
    I also save the tops from celery & dry them & use them in soup.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      That's an excellent idea, too! Thanks for sharing.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. I'm not much of a vegetable gardener, but, I'm enjoying learning all these neat things...I might just become one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      Little by little. hee hee You never know where you might end up.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. One of the things I miss about home ownership is the amazing elephant garlic Resident Chef used to grow. He supplied all our friends and neighbours. We tried to grow it in pots on the balcony here but it didn't survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I'm sure that's a huge disappointment. I'm so sorry. I bet they were gorgeous! Maybe try again this fall? I'm trying the spring planting to see how it goes. I'll be planting more in the fall.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Donna this is certainly an excellent way of not wasting food. Such a great idea on how to multiply the food supply - which is much needed today. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie:
      I couldn't agree more! We have to become more self-sufficient as we're able. I'm going back to the Victory Garden era thinking around here. Of course, being surrounded by farmers is added inspiration. They put seeds in the ground every spring with the faith that they'll grow and prosper. I love that.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. This is such a great post, I'm looking forward to the garden progress.
    I especially like the bowl from Shelly, and the reason--it belonged in the farmhouse.
    I hope she is doing well.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      Thanks! I'll try to do more as the season progresses. I just saw that my little basil seeds have sprouted. I get so excited! I love that little bowl, and those two neighbors are truly priceless. Shelly continues to improve, and although she may not be 100% again, she's becoming stronger and doing things for herself. She's an inspiration. Thanks for caring.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. Sherry of createology: This is a wonderful to get more out of purchased vegetables. You could do sweet potatoes or yams too if you like them. Donna how does your garden grow?…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I love sweet potatoes, and plan to plant potatoes in my garden. I'll see about adding some to my potato growing bags this summer! Thanks for the idea. Veg have become so pricey that I think we'll save all around with the garden. I'm sort of likening my garden to the Victory Gardens of former times. I hope I can live up to it.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna