May 5, 2023

The Lost Day...

 
I never did post yesterday. I admit, I was gassed. Sewcial Sisters was yesterday, and as I learned Handsome would beat me home if I went, I decided to stay at the farmhouse and watch for him. As it turned out, he was home by 1 pm or so, and I was right. He would have come home to dogs in crates and no wife. I'm glad I stayed here.

By the time I completed my ambitious baking plan for Wednesday, I pretty much sat down and stared at the wall, cup of tea in hand. I never got the planned chocolate chip cookies done at the end, but I did complete the following...

 
I'm very happy with how the focaccia turned out. One was topped with bacon, caramelized onions, Romano cheese, garlic and green olives. The other was more plain with bacon, caramelized onions and Romano cheese.

 
Once the focaccia was baked off, I could form the farmhouse dough into loaves, leaving enough aside to make hoagie rolls. Those I brushed with egg wash and then sprinkled with King Arthur "The Works" topping. It's a favorite around here. Bread and focaccia were delivered to Andy and Shelly, and the rest stayed here. Some went in to the freezer, with enough for making sandwiches left in the kitchen.

Once Handsome got home, he and I caught up on a lot of missed conversation, took needed naps, and then finished the day with a nice dinner of warm soup and fresh bread. Before dinner I made palmier cookies, so we had a light dessert to finish our meal. 

Lest I forget, Carly was pretty happy to be home again, too. We let Bella and Tag outside so the three of them could run around together, and they all settled into their old outside routine. We're glad to have the whole pack - people and pets - back together again. All is right with my world.

Claudette and Crystal are another story. They're a little confused about their abrupt change in accommodations, but I made sure there were things from the house that they'd have in their barn room. I moved their inside beds out there, as well as the litter box they're used to using inside. Even so, Claudette tried to push her way in late last night, and it was all I could do to make her stay outside. Handsome put his foot down. No cats in the house. I went outside and sat with them for about twenty minutes, trying to explain, but they let me know they were not happy with their old accommodations. I could completely empathize. I was sad, too. I'm just hoping that the weather gets nicer quickly, so I don't have to worry about them. They'll be fine. I'm not sure about me.

Today, Jan is coming back down and we'll sew up her pretty vacation swimsuit coverup. She and "Big" (her nickname for Handsome) will get a chance to visit, too, and I always enjoy listening to them. Once that's done, I think I'll do nothing for the rest of the weekend. Time to take care of the critters and make a little breakfast for my sweetheart before Jan arrives. 

PS. Sorry Tag and I haven't answered comments for a couple of days. I promise we'll sit down over the weekend to catch up with everyone. Thanks for understanding. xo

6 comments:

  1. Your baking looks delicious!
    Glad Handsome got back safely.
    Sometimes you have to just take time for yourself.
    Don't worry, we enjoy your posts even if you don't reply.
    Family time is more important.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a whirlwind of (delicious) preparations! So happy for you to have everyone home where they belong and the weekend to slow down and enjoy one another!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very glad Handsome and Carly arrived home safely...now all is right with your world. Maybe not so right for the kitties though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m so glad you have your crew together. The bread looks delicious. I was worried about you when you didn’t post! Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherry of createology: Hickory Hill Farmstead is now complete once again. I am certain you will give extra attention to Claudette and Crystal and they will understand. All of your baking looks so yummy and professional. Blessings Dear…

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad for a safe trip home. Enjoy the weekend. You can breathe now.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna