July 1, 2022

Puttering Outside...

 

I spent most of the day outdoors yesterday. I started (after coffee and breakfast, of course), by driving to town to our local Fleet Farm. They had plants marked 75% off!!! How could I not get some? I also needed soil, so I purchased bags of raised bed soil and some cow manure (I know. I could have probably driven up the road for that!)

Of course, that wasn't all I needed this my trip. I went inside and purchased nine large cinder blocks, and three flat "cap" pavers for the project I'd envisioned. We had scrap lumber in the barn, so Handsome cut the 2 x 4s into six foot lengths for me, and I set about building my outdoor shelf for plants. The nice thing about this setup is that it's temporary. I can plan my new raised bed garden over the winter, and next year, move this if I need to to accommodate the design I have in mind.

I took some of my empty plastic pots from previous years and planted eight jalapeño pepper plants. I'll use them as the base for canned Cowboy Candy this fall! I cleaned up the two sad-looking geranium plants I also bought on sale, and made sure they got lots of water. 

Once the manure was in a galvanized tote (under my herb planters) and the soil left from one of the bags I bought was put into the white bucket, I called today "done" and shot this picture for you. I went inside, sat a bit to catch my wind, took a shower, and then took a short nap before dinner. I was wiped out, but feeling much better now. It's a good thing we had an overcast day and a nice breeze. It made for a more comfortable day to work outside.

I'm planning to sit and stitch today. The week got away from me in the studio, but I feel like we'll slide into the holiday weekend with a sense of accomplishment. This holiday is most difficult for me now, as Dad left us on the 3rd of July. I know I'll spend this weekend thinking about him and wishing we'd had more time together. It never is enough, is it?

I hope you're planning a nice weekend with loved ones. There are still so many things to celebrate about our great country. I'll be counting my blessings - you among them. Happy Independence Weekend!

8 comments:

  1. It's a nice set-up.
    I also bought a few plants, they are all on sale now.
    Happy 4th & blessings to you also!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Getting them "On Sale" is the best!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. That was productive puttering! Happy 4th!!! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie:
      Sure was! hee hee
      Happy Independence Day!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. It is my feelings that a raised bed is not raised unless I can sit my butt on the edge and get up easy!!! 2 to 4 inches do not count! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! I'm completely with you on that! Thanks for your note.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. I love puttering - those are the best kinds of days. Your planting area looks great and nice that it can be moved as and when desired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      The older I get, the more I enjoy puttering. wink. Thanks so much!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna