July 22, 2022

Health Progress Report...

 

I told you a while back that I'd begun a "psychology of weight loss" program through an app called "Noom". I began on April 26th of this year. The great thing about this program is that it's slow and sustained, and no food is forever off limits. In the (distant) past, I've easily lost forty pounds doing Atkins, but gained it all back when I went started eating carbs again.

Through this program, I eat those things, but in moderation, including dessert. I don't feel deprived or that I'm missing out at all. I've been more active, using a pedometer to track my steps, and a tracker for my food intake so I can become more aware of how my choices are different.

I still have a way to go, but I thought you might like to see my progress so far. Since April 26th, I've lost sixteen pounds. I sat at a plateau for longer than I cared, but when I began the program, I also took measurements for my bust, waist, hips, thigh and upper arm. I added those together for a total number. While I languished on that plateau, I retook my measurements. I'd lost 9" overall!  The other thing I did was told myself it was okay to plateau, because even at that point, I weighed less than I had in nearly 8 years (maybe longer)!

I wore this top when I met old classmates for lunch in August of 2019. Truthfully, I was kind of embarrassed when I saw how I looked in the picture. I had a great time, so that's what I focused on. Fast forward to 2022.

With all the surgeries I'd undergone in 2020 and early 2021, I decided I wanted to live healthier. That's when I discovered Noom and took the leap. In the image of me on the right, I'm wearing that same top. It's fitting me more the way it's supposed to, and I didn't wear the matching scarf to try to cover up.

Like I said, I have a way to go yet (about forty pounds), so I'm not crowing too loud. I feel better and healthier. My knees are happier, for sure. I'm getting in about 4,500 steps a day now, too. When I began, I was lucky to get in about 1,500. The goal is 10,000, but that will come, too.

Part of the program is to be accountable, so that's one of the reasons I'm telling you. The other reason is that my blog has always been a daily diary for me, so I'm making a post about this for that reason, too. I hope you don't mind. 

So, instead of just having that morning coffee before I start my day, I've added a healthy breakfast since April. I'm actually eating more and still losing weight. Yippee! You know the drill, I'm heading to the kitchen now. I may even do a little dance on the way.

10 comments:

  1. Congrats!
    You look great!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you! Best part is that you feel better. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! Great job! It's crazy what a difference 16 pounds makes! Keep up the great work! Thank you for sharing openly about this. I have thought about Noom for myself, and your encouraging feedback makes me think I should think less and do more.... (-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, Lois. Funny how it doesn't seem like much, but it does make a difference. I hesitated to share, but remembered that I'm among friends here. I like to talk as though we're sitting across the table, sharing a cup of tea. Wouldn't that be nice? We could encourage each other in person.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Good for you Donna! Kudos!! It's wonderful to have the pictures as reference because that gives added encouragement to carry on. Your happy smile says it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MA. I really didn't think I looked too different in the mirror. Seeing the photos next to each other really made me happy. I appreciate your kind words.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Sherry of createology: Donna you look fabulous! Your entire self is more relaxed and happy looking in your less weight. Great Job Dear! I am trying and lost .02 in an entire week. However it took me 2 years to lose 13 pounds a decade ago with WW so I am in no hurry/worry. Keep up your healthy ways my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, my dear. I think you're right. I love how my clothes fit better (or are too big) now, too. I'll be getting rid of the big stuff. I don't intend to ever go back there. I will tell you the morning weigh-ins can be a real blessing (or a tiny curse when you're stuck), but I think it helps in the long run. As I said in my post, I've been playing around with the same 3 pounds for weeks. Up 1.5, down 2, up .5... you get the idea. It really made me analyze where I could improve my eating habits. Slow and steady wins the race. Don't give up. (I'll be your cheerleader!)
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna