July 27, 2022


 

If you're following my channel on Instagram, or are a friend on Facebook, you've already seen that I've been busy since the weekend. I canned a dozen pints of salsa (using fresh tomatoes I picked up from a roadside stand on my way home from Portage last weekend); four pints of lovely pickled beets; and baked bread Monday and Tuesday.

The first batch of bread was a barter with a neighbor for the fresh-from-the-garden beets, zucchini, and pickling cucumbers. I also tried out a new roll to see if Handsome liked them. (He did) So, I'm going to mix up a batch of dough specifically to make rolls. But not today.

You won't be too shocked if I say I'm still a little tired today. I apologize for not responding to your recent comments, but promise I'll do that today. I've also been working on my Everlasting quilt. All I have left to do is to create the scattering of bees onto the quilt top and I'll be ready for it to go to the longarmer's. I'm trying to finish it so I can share it with you! I'm definitely going to do my best to complete it today so I can share pictures with you.

I'm going to keep this short so I can decide what I'm going to do next. Zucchini and cucumbers are calling my name. So is coffee. Yes. Coffee is definitely calling my name, and I must answer. lol

9 comments:

  1. You really have been busy. Yes, coffee always makes everything better, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that goodness looks so yummy!
    Can't wait to see the Everlasting Quilt.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn! I’m working on it.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Yum!! I'll happily taste test one of each, please and thank you. As a little side note, I was in the local store this week and noticed they had cases of Roma tomatoes available. Yay, said I to myself. UNTIL I looked at the price and about keeled over right there in the store. $49!!! I know it's not tomato season locally quite yet but still. Holy crow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA-
      Wouldn’t that be fun? I remember seeing tomatoes @ $60/bushel when I first started canning. I kept searching until I found them for $20/bushel.. I’ll be hitting the Farmer’s market for green peppers this weekend. My brother’s green thumb will help a lot for the rest of our tomatoes this year. Hope your prices improve as they come in season.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. These tomatoes weren't even a bushel - more like maybe a 1/4 of a bushel. At that rate I doubt they were getting any buyers.

      Delete
    3. That’s wild!! That’s also why I’m planning a huge garden for next season. 🥺

      Delete
  4. Sherry of createology: While you are busy stitching bees onto your quilt top, you have been a busy bee in your kitchen. All of your goodies look delicious. The barter system really does work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry-
      That’s the truth! I took the day off today.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna