July 21, 2022

Taking The Wayback Machine To 1927...

Two days ago, I was sorting through my still-boxed cookbooks in search of an old favorite that contains a favorite "no bake" recipe for dinners. It's called "No Time To Cook" and I think it was a Better Homes and Gardens publication (or something like that). I did ultimately locate it, and used one of the recipes for dinner that evening. Thanks to a regular breeze here, it was actually quite comfortable after the sun went down, but I still didn't have any plans to light up the oven.

As I was searching for that cookbook, I came across more "antique" cookbooks that belonged to various ancestors. This one belonged to my dear mother-in-law, Evelyn. I decided to bring it upstairs and look through it. She even wrote a recipe of her own on the last page, and I'm definitely going to make that one. 

As you can see from the front page, this is a compilation of recipes from the Royal Baking Powder Company™, and the copyright is 1927! I love old cookbooks, and couldn't wait to dig into it. I'm not quite sure why I hadn't done it before in all these years.


This is the Index of all the recipes in this 100 page book. You may want to pull this image onto your desktop or into your images files so you can read it better or print it out. I'm suggesting that for a reason I'll explain by the end of this post. Don't forget you can also click on the image here to enlarge it.

Just look at all those recipes! I've already chosen the first on my list to make, which is the recipe for Luncheon Rolls that can be made from start to finish in about an hour! Those homemakers didn't have all day to waste in the kitchen. They had to clean house, get the kids to school, prepare a hot meal for the family, and they had to do it dressed up and wearing makeup! (Right?)

So, check out these recipes and I'll tell you why soon.

As I was telling my sister, Di about this discovery, she did an Amazon search for Royal Baking Powder.™ Can you believe they still make it?! Yes. It's made by the same company that makes the Clabber Girl™ brand. I use Clabber Girl™, but placed an order for the Royal brand which will be here tomorrow. I'm curious to see if there's a difference.

I love the photographs with step-by-step technique instructions, and there's even a page on how to cut the shapes into the ends of piping bags to make all the different decorating shapes with icing. Homemakers didn't keep a drawer-full of metal decorating tips in their kitchens. Haven't we become spoiled?


The book is also filled with many other pages of helpful hints, but mostly there are some wonderfully intriguing recipes. That's when the idea hit me. Have you heard of the movie where a young woman decided to make every one of Julie Child's recipes? Why can't this more mature bird attempt the same? Perhaps not every recipe, but I could take a good run at more than a few, and then share those recipes with you!

You'll be able to print out the recipes, and perhaps put them into your own binder to keep and share. So, what do you think? Do you like this idea? My first attempt will be those Luncheon Rolls. It says they're perfect for sandwiches, and who knows? They may become our go-to for sub sandwiches for family gatherings?

I'm already putting sticky notes all over this cookbook and trying to decide which recipes I'll make (maybe once every two weeks), and I'm going to give you a chance to have input on the choices. That's why I want you to enlarge, print out, or save the Index above. Let me know which recipe(s) you'd like to see me make and share. I may even do videos  to go with them, or live episodes from time to time. I'll keep track of all your suggestions, and will keep doing this at least until your suggestions run out. I may even have little prize drawings along the way!

So, that's what I'm going to do. Beginning Monday, August 1st, I'm going to make and post the first of many recipes from this cookbook. I'll share photographs of my creations, tell you how they worked up, how they tasted (I'm sure Handsome will help with that part), and then share the actual recipe with you. Then, you can try the recipes in your kitchen if you like. I'll make a new tab in the menu bar so you'll be able to find all the recipe posts in one place, too!

I'm looking forward to some awesome feedback, so please don't let me down. I'm excited about this project, and hope you will be, too.

12 comments:

  1. What a treasure!
    I have a few old cookbooks also, love pulling them out & browsing.
    That's a great idea.
    I will print it out & browse through it.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Great! I hope you let me know if you have a favorite you'd like me to make and share.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. This should be fun. The $2.00 price would be equivalent to $34.06 today (per an inflation calculator). I thought it would be more. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie:
      It never occurred to me to calculate the current value (although I've done that with other things). Thanks for sharing that! Hope you'll pick a favorite. I may retake and replace the image of the Index page. I'm afraid it may be blurry when enlarged.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. How cool is this! It's going to be such fun to watch this unfold. I'm going to be interested to know if all the ingredients are still available or if you will have to substitute a more 'today' item here and there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MA. I am, too! My Royal Baking Powder arrived today, so I may try the first recipe for Sunday dinner. I'll be all set to go August 1st.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Sounds like fun to me!!!! I love this type of adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherry of createology: I also love old cookbooks. I have one from my Grandmothers Aunt and it has lots of formal luncheon recipes like aspics. This will be fun to follow your recipe cooking journey. Happy kitchen meals…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I treasure my old cookbooks, too. I have a tendency to spend more time in those than the new ones, although I'm thoroughly enjoying {the} Lost Kitchen cookbook I just ordered. It's beautiful, too.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. What a great idea Donna. You may even bring back some cherished memories for Handsome. Interesting cakes are always my downfall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marrianne:
      Mine, too. I think I'll save those for last. wink
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna