July 13, 2022

A Gift...

It's easy to forget how blessed Handsome and I are to live where we do. Then, one day, you find a veritable bounty right outside your door. Such was the case this weekend. 

I was walking around the yard with my leashed Corgi at my side. He'd been dragging me all over tarnation and I was beginning to get a little cross with him. He really wanted to run, but the leash kept him in check. I figured the least I could do was let him explore to find just the right spot. He pulled me over to the old apple tree, and I'm so glad he did!

I've been neglecting the planting area between the apple tree and the large lilac bush for the past few years. I tell myself I need to cut back the weeds and tidy it up, but now I'm happy about that. If I'd been keeping it open, the birds wouldn't have planted seeds of their own, and I wouldn't have a volunteer black raspberry patch! It's abundant, too!

I stopped to pick and taste a few berries and found them to be very tasty, so after Tag was through with his meanderings, I took him back to the house and grabbed a bowl. I proceeded to pick until the bowl was full, and then went inside to see about a recipe for preserves.

I have a great cookbook I've told you about before called "Preserving By The Pint" by Marisa McClellan. I was tickled to find that she, indeed, had a small batch recipe for Black Raspberry Preserves. Based on the weight of the ripe berries I'd harvested, I can make two half-pint jars of preserves.

They've been cleaned and dried, so this morning, I'll make up the small batch while I'm waiting for my bread dough to rise. It won't take that long to make the preserves and I can water bath the jars between "stretching and pulling" my dough. Handsome has a concert in the park tonight, so I'll get everything done with time to spare.

By the end of the day, I'll have fresh loaves of bread, and preserves to spread on a few slices! The best part is that there are still lots of berries to ripen, and I'll be able to make more jam, while still leaving some behind for my feathered friends. After all, it's because of them that we have these beautiful berries in the first place.

8 comments:

  1. Mother Nature at work. How wonderful. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooo, those berries look delicious.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      They're a real treat! Now, I'll add them to my list of plants to tend here at the farmhouse.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Oh wow - I wouldn't be able to make jam with these because I'd be chowing down on them right away. Seeing these make me feel nostalgic because for many years my birthday present was a pint of raspberries all for my very own. Luckily no one else in my family liked them so it was an extreme treat for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I get it. I was eating them while I was picking them! I'm so glad I nudged a fond memory for you.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Sherry of createology: We had huge bushes of blackberries growing wild in Nevada City CA. Unfortunately I never picked any because I though I didn’t like them. WOW…I would love to have them now. Your fresh bread with preserves will be so yummy tonight!Thank you Birdies…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      It's funny how moving back to WI from Florida made me appreciate being here so much more. Perhaps maturity augments that? Handsome was taking a "pre-concert nap" when the rolls came out of the oven. I pulled one apart right away, buttered it, and then put fresh preserves on it. He woke up when I held the roll in front of him, sat up, and took a bite. He was making yummy noises as I left the room, smiling. Doesn't get better than that!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna