July 6, 2022

Fresh Pesto...

While it was a tad too warm to can anything yesterday, the weather was perfectly conducive to putting up a little pesto.

I don't use a pressure canner (yet), so pesto is frozen to preserve it here at the farmhouse. That is, unless a fresh batch will be used rather soon. It can also be kept in the refrigerator, as long as the pesto is covered with a layer of olive oil. Otherwise, the basil turns an unappetizing black color.


I have a pot of healthy, sweet basil growing right outside the front door, so I harvested four cups and brought it into the kitchen. Once rinsed, drained and dried, it was ready to turn into two batches of fresh pesto.

I use silicone freezing trays with covers that I purchased from Pampered Chef (my sister is a rep for the company), but you could also use any compartmented silicone tray or ice cube tray. Once the pesto pieces are frozen, I pop them into a plastic bag and vacuum-seal them for the freezer. I usually put one tray per package, and then I have just the right amount for whichever recipe I'll be using. 

Most often, I stir pesto into freshly cooked penne pasta with sauteed mushrooms, peppers, and tomatoes. I also spread it onto our homemade pizzas, or onto homemade, toasted French bread slices. Top with more pine nuts and shredded parmesan cheese for a nice finish.



This is the recipe I've used since we moved into the farmhouse. Can you believe we purchased our grand lady seven years ago in September? Time flies!

I have lemon balm that's just waiting to become jelly, so I may do that today. It's only supposed to get into the mid-70s today, so I can heat up the water bath canner without cooking us out of the house.

You may have noticed that I haven't shared updated photographs with you for my Everlasting quilt. Truthfully, I didn't do anything with it all weekend, except bring it downstairs so I could work on it. I just didn't, opting to spend more time outside instead. Maybe later today...

5 comments:

  1. It looks delicious!
    Glad you had a relaxing time outside.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thanks! It's hard for me to stay indoors during our short summers. More of the same tomorrow.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Outside is a good place to be - the quilt can wait a little longer. Pesto isn't something we seem to make in our household because I don't think Resident Chef likes it. Never made lemon balm into jelly either, but today's venture will be to make rhubarb punch that will be going in the freezer to enjoy over the rest of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Rhubarb punch sounds tasty! I'll have to look for a recipe. Thanks for the inspiration.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. The recipe we used is going up on my blog post tomorrow if you want to check into it then.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna