July 18, 2022

A Productive Weekend...


Not only did I put up another batch of Black Rasperry Preserves, I also did a little weekend baking. I made these scrumptious Strawberry Rhubarb Hand Pies for Sunday dinner's dessert. 

It all began when I looked at the scruffy rhubarb patch at the west end of the Compass Barn. Rhubarb's sister plant, the burdock had taken up residence next to the patch and was getting ready to start going to seed. I didn't want that! Even though there are medicinal qualities to the burdock, I didn't want them sprouting up all around the rhubarb, so outside I went to take the interloper out of the rhubarb bed.

Next thing you know, I'm pulling out wilted rhubarb leaves that were rotting on the grass, and then I took off all the seed heads that were growing out of the rhubarb. (I'm going to try growing new plants from seed to put into next years new and improved garden space.) I also pulled beautiful stalks that would become these hand pies, another small pie, and a few near future treats. I'm going to make rhubarb simple syrup that can be added to sparkling water, or perhaps a summery adult beverage. I'm also contemplating another of Marisa McClellan's recipes for a Rhubarb Rosemary jelly.

The recipe for the hand pies is simple. I cut up 2 cups of cleaned rhubarb into 1/2" chunks; added about 1 cup of cut up fresh strawberries, and about 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice. Place in a large bowl and sprinkle one cup of sugar over the mix. Let sit while you make the pie crust.

The pie crust recipe was from my ancient Betty Crocker cookbook. 1 cup all purpose flour, 1/2 t. salt, 3/4 c. Crisco shortening, and 2 tsp. water. Cut the Crisco into the flour until it's incorporated. Add the water and mix into a dough. Roll it out and use a hand pie maker (mine is from Pampered Chef) to cut out the dough, form and then seal the pies. I put an egg wash and granulated sugar on top before I popped them in the oven. I baked these in my air fryer for 10-12 minutes at 400º. Drizzled a mixture of confectioner's sugar and half & half over the top when they were still hot. (If you use a conventional oven, bake at 475º for 10-12 minutes.) It's that simple.

Full disclosure: My sister, Diana is a Pampered Chef consultant, so I get all my kitchen wares through her now. I just hosted my annual online party, and the Hand Pie Maker was one of my free perks. Not only are they perfect for making sweet treats, but you can also make savory pies, too! I just prepare a meat and vegetable like you would for a pot pie, and then seal them into the crust with this handy gadget. If you'd like to get one for yourself, you can click HERE to check it out. There's even a little video that shows you how they're used! Di is happy to answer any questions, and if you want to get yours free, the online parties couldn't be easier. She does all the work. All you do is invite friends who you think would be interested in some new recipes and seeing what Pampered Chef has in their product lines. Anyway, enough of the little commercial. I'll just say the Hand Pie Maker is an awesome tool and it made making these extremely simple.

Once all my dessert-ing was finished, I prepared a nice meal for Handsome and me. After dinner, we went outside and watered all our new plantings, and then settled in to enjoy a little rhubarb treat. It was a lovely end to a lovely weekend.
I'm heading up to Primitive Gatherings this morning for a day with the Sewcial Sisters. Kathy D. is having a procedure today, so she can't be with us. If you're inclined, please say a little prayer for my friend that all goes well, so she can join us for the August gathering. 

Tag will be here tomorrow, and I'll be back on Wednesday. I hope you have an awesome week, and make time for something creative. I'd better be on my way. I sure don't want to be late for all the fun!

6 comments:

  1. Mmmm, those look delicious!
    Thanks for the recipe.
    Have fun today,
    Positive thoughts for Kathy
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so very welcome, Marilyn. I hope you try it and enjoy them. Kathy sent a text message post op. She's doing well, and we're all hoping she's back to her chipper self very soon. Thanks for you good wishes.
      Big Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. I agree - those do look delish! Rhubarb is a wonderful plant that just keeps on giving (and it's SOOOO expensive in the stores). If you're searching for a great recipe have a look on my post from July 8th on my blog for the rhubarb punch. It's wonderful!
    Have fun today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear MA:
      I popped over to your blog and saved the recipe you shared. It looks delicious, and I'll have to give it a try! Thanks so much for generously pointing me to it.
      Big Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Sherry of createology: Your little personal dessert pies do look delicious. Lifting prayers for Kathy D. Lovely weekend you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sherry, dear:
      Thanks so much! I actually think I'll make them 1/2 size next time. The pie maker actually has a feature where you can insert one round crust, put the filling in and then fold the mold in half to seal the pie. Might be a smarter portion size for all that goodness. I am working on my girlish figure, after all. (wink) Kathy came through her surgery with flying colors. Thanks for your prayers. They were heard and appreciated.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna