June 24, 2022

Well, Hello, There...


I now have the start of a compost pile in our backyard. Two evenings ago, I was taking some kitchen vegetable scraps out to add to the pile. I was slightly turned to the west (and I have excellent peripheral vision), so when I saw movement in the tall grass, it got my attention.

I very slowly turned to face the movement, and lifted my cell phone/camera to chronicle what I saw with you. If you go through the photographs as you would read (top row l-r, second row l-4, etc), you'll discover what I saw.

I held my breath, and steadied my phone, watched and waited as this beautiful, young buck made its way down the hill. He stopped more than once to process my scent. The wind was at my back, so I fully expected him to "high tail" it at any moment. The Barn Cats had followed me to the compost bin, and they were completely visible to the buck, so I'm thinking that's part of what baffled him.

Nevertheless, that silly boy came within 15 feet of me at one point. That's the second to last photo above. Then, he slowly sauntered past the north end of the pole barn, and slowly made his way across the north field to the "Habitat" tree line. That's where I could finally take a deep breath and a few more photos.

Again, the farm reveals its blessings, and again, I'm reminded I'm one lucky girl to be in the right place at the right time. God is good.

6 comments:

  1. Love this! You can’t put a price on the joys Mother Nature gives
    us. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie: You couldn't be more right. I love seeing all the wildlife here. It's a true blessing.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Great pics.
    I opened the blinds this morning to see a big Raccoon staring at me!
    He wasn't scared, but finally sauntered off down the hill when I snapped the window lock.
    We take our bird feeders in at night because something was trashing them.
    Now we know what. He really bent the squirrel cone out of shape trying to climb the pole.
    We thought it was Deer, they were sucking the juice out of the Hummy feeders!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      They are rascals! We have one that's raiding the cats' food every day. I looked out the window one night to see her eating. I notice her underside, and she's obviously feeding babies. We'll share food with her to help her feed them. I have, however, moved dry food to the Compass Barn (which she's found), rather than have her hang out so close to the house and dogs. Coexist, but at more of a safe distance. ;-)
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. How exciting! And how fortuitous that you had your camera with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I need to order a wrist pedometer. I have to carry my dang cell phone with me everywhere to register "steps" for my Noom reporting. I really must get after that program, but you're right. If I hadn't had my phone in my pocket, I would have missed these pictures! I guess it was a happy compromise.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna