June 11, 2022

Garden Cleanup...

The kitchen garden was such a mess that I didn't even take a "before" photograph to share, but after much weeding, our handyman had this area looking much more hospitable. It's not finished yet, though. 

Today, two more men will be joining Mike to do the fine work, till the soil and then put down barrier and mulch. Then, it will look the way it's supposed to. 

I'm heading out first thing to purchase the bags of mulch, and Handsome is going to pick up the crew. We were told that Exodus House (a halfway house in Kewaskum) hired out appropriate residents and "graduates" for such work, so we made the call. Mike was just what the doctor ordered. He loves gardening, and has the grounds at Exodus House neat as a pin. He loves gardening, and it shows in the pride with which he executes his work.

I asked that he start in this area closest to our entry doors, as it's the area most visible when going in and out of the farmhouse. I pointed out what I wanted kept, and he pulled the rest. I'm going to plant lavender back into the center area, it'll be mulched, and then I'm making a commitment to keep up with the weeding.

I like having the hollyhocks in front of the kitchen windows because when they grow up, they also cover the ugly electric meter and piping. Perhaps I should be planting more morning glory plants to camouflage that by climbing. (The hollyhocks killed off what was there, but I'm going to keep them under control in the future.)

Next, he worked the little front garden on the street side of the walkway, and moved over to the area I refer to as "the terrace" around the porch. All the "volunteer" plants were taking over, including a few ore hollyhocks that moved in. They can stay for now, and I'm going to see if they can be pruned if they start to get too tall.

Mike cleaned up around the creeping phlox, and took out the crown vetch and ground ivy that was trying to take over the beds. I'm happy to have them grow in controlled areas, but for now, they're out so I can see the plants that need to stay.


When the crew arrives today, they'll be cleaning up this area. It's filled with tiny thistle plants (all going!), milkweed (staying for the monarchs), mums, monarda, and more hollyhocks. Everything else, including a sapling that I certainly don't want growing up this close to the house, will all go.

Its going to be a busy day. I'm running out to get mulch, and lunch for the guys. Then, I'll be putting on my work gloves to help plant the lavender and a shasta daisy.

It's scheduled to rain today, so we're hoping it holds off until the beds are weeded and the new plants and mulch are in. Then, a gentle, overnight rain would be just perfect. Fingers crossed!

6 comments:

  1. Your yard will be so pretty!
    I have a small garden in back.
    I have taken out all of the weeds & when I water, I pull a few to keep it looking nice.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Marilyn:
      I think you've worked out the perfect plan! I'm going to try to do the same to keep it up now.
      Happy New Week!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Looks so nice! I'm glad to hear you're keeping the milkweeds for the flutter-byes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, my friend. I just couldn't pull those when I so love seeing the monarchs. It looks like the bee keeper isn't bringing his hives back to Andy and Shelly's this year. That makes me sad. I really love having them around and watching them as they gather pollen.
      Hope you have a great week!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Sherry of createology: It always helps to have help with overwhelming projects. Your flower beds will be stunning once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I'm so grateful these young men could come to help us get everything back under control. We couldn't have done it without them! Now we'll be able to enjoy the gardens without fretting over their neglect.
      Happy Week, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna