June 18, 2022

This Area Is Next...


This is the regenerated honeysuckle that used to reside next to the staircase on the old wooden porch. I moved it next to our big pole barn/garage right before the old porch demolition, and prayed that it would survive the move. It looked more than a little rough last year, but this year it's back like gangbusters!

This area was mulched a couple years ago, and has pretty much gone renegade since. It's the next area I/we'll tackle. Handsome loves that dang weed wacker, but the problem with that is it doesn't leave much to grab onto to pull weeds/grass. I'm going to be getting down on my (ouch) knees to get the leverage to clean this all up. I'll train the honeysuckle onto the fence rails while I'm at it. It's worth it. The fragrance for this bush is heavenly! I may do some research on propagating this, too. I'd love to have it growing along the front of the house, too. Once this is all weeded and tamed, we'll put dark mulch here, too.


These galvanized tubs and livestock sink all have history. Andy found the double, curved front sink for me after we first moved here. I usually plant tomatoes in it, but this year I did onion sets, lemon grass, and lemon balm (for jelly). 

I found the square sink - filled with auto parts - in Dad's garage. I knew it would be coming to the farmhouse. I brought it home, scrubbed the sink, and left the stand as is. I'll probably give it a clear coat or even clean up and paint the base with Rustoleum in the same creamy color. I have thyme, rosemary, and I forget-what-else growing in it. 

The two round-bottom tubs were just purchased at an estate sale. The person running the sale actually lives with her husband in our first farmhouse/home. It's the place where Handsome and I were married and started our lives together. I still love the place, and I'm so glad she loves it as much as I do. They've lived there about thirty years now. 

The watering can was also a gift from Shelly. I planted it with flowers and hung it from a hook one year, but I'm using it for water now. 

This whole length of planting bed along the building needs to be weeded and remulched. I have plans for this whole area, too. Handsome and I actually talked about it yesterday. I'm going to be taking some measurements and drawing up some plans to see what works best. Then we'll either build cedar raised beds, or purchase galvanized stock tanks to implement the plan. 

Don't fret, though. Whatever we decide, I'll bring you along on the process. If you don't yet follow me on Instagram yet, you might consider it. I think when we start working on this, I'll be doing short videos (reels) to share on that platform. You can find me @brynwoodneedleworks, or search "Donna Liljegren".

It's the weekend, and I'm looking forward to more time outdoors. It supposed to be in the mid-70s all day today, with lovely sunshine. Wishing you beautiful weather, and you doing something you love. See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. The flowers are so pretty, & love the old tubs for plants.
    Can't wait to see your plan come to life.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of the honeysuckle against the rail fence. Your collection of galvanized pieces are perfect too and even better that you don't have to bend over to work with them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna