June 17, 2022

So Peaceful...


Seeing Claudette (and/or Crystal) sleeping peacefully on our porch never fails to bring a smile. When she's not on the porch, Crystal is never far away. She always comes running when she sees me, but Claudette is happy to spend her days right here. I suspect she does her roaming overnight, so she needs to recuperate from her forays during the day.

I was the one roaming yesterday. I began my day with a little housekeeping. I tidied up the living room, and then ran the vacuum through the house. I made a grocery list to fill when I went out for my haircut. 

Handsome traveled to Milwaukee to watch our granddaughter in the State soccer semi-finals. Sadly, they lost to the number one seed in Wisconsin, so her high school soccer days have come to an end. She starts college-level soccer in about six weeks, so I think she'll enjoy the time off.

After my haircut with Wendi, I did some grocery shopping and then came home. I guess now is as good a time as any to tell you I've been working on a weight-loss program through an app with "Noom". I check in daily and report my weight, meals (with a handy calorie counter), and activities in the app in my phone, and this program works with the psychology of weight loss. (Working to reprogram the childhood "you're not getting up from the table until you clean your plate" mentality, and more.) 

I've lost a solid twelve pounds in six weeks, and my shape has changed, too. I've hit a bit of a plateau this week, but the scale is finally moving again. I'm able to eat almost anything I want as long as I stay within the proscribed calorie range for the day, and I'm moving around a bit more, too. My goal is to lose sixty pounds by my birthday this year, and according to the experts at Noom, that's perfectly achievable.

Why am I telling you this? 1) to be accountable to someone beside Handsome, and 2) to explain why it took me over an hour to put away the groceries. I'm eating breakfast now - which I hadn't done before - and that usually consists of fresh fruit, Oikos™ greek yogurt, and a tablespoon of Grape Nuts™ cereal sprinkled on top. Before I put the fruit in the refrigerator, I soak the strawberries, blueberries, green grapes, and apples in water with a touch of white vinegar. Then, I rinse everything, let it dry, and then place it into canning jars with a folded paper towel in the bottom of the jar. 

I also prepared much of the vegetables I brought home, along with putting away the rest of my purchases. It felt like it took forever. By the time I was finished, Handsome was walking in the door and it was time to feed our furry charges. I'd put a small beef roast into the slow cooker late morning, so that was completed cooked and ready for me to add gravy, prepare some vegetables, and serve up hot roast beef sandwiches on homemade buns, with the veggie side dish. Needless to say, there was no needle dancing as originally planned.

However, today is Friday! I'm going to stitch my way into the weekend! I'd like to finish the flower embroideries so I can assemble the strawberry and share a finished piece tomorrow or Monday. For now, it's time to feed the critters, and pour my first cup of coffee (to go with breakfast). See you tomorrow!

12 comments:

  1. Now I'm kicking myself for not commenting on the picture you posted this month of you and the ladies in the craft group....I thought to myself that you look like you had lost weight, but was afraid it could seem weird if I commented on that. However, since you've brought it up....(-; Good job! Keep up the good work - it shows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dear Lois:
      Thank you so much for saying so! Even if I hadn't lost weight, I would have loved that you noticed. I'm going to keep after it. I know it will take time, so I'm not discouraged, and my clothes are already fitting better. I'm even pulling some "oldies but goodies" out of storage! yippee.
      Big Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Claudette looks so peaceful sleeping on the porch.
    Good luck on your Noom journey, looks like you are doing good.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marilyn:
      Doesn't she? When it's hot, she just moves from cool concrete to the mesh chairs I have on the porch. She's a sweetie. Thanks for the good wishes on my "program". I'm going to keep at it. I know I can win this struggle to slim down. I know it's worth it (if for no other reason than to help my knees) in the long run.
      Big Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. So proud of you for your weight loss. I’m certain the plateau was frustrating but you are doing great! As active as you are, especially with summer upon us, you will succeed! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Bonnie. I think telling others what I'm doing holds me more accountable, too. I know if I just keep after it, I'll have another significant dip. Summer helps, for sure. Finding and eating fruits and vegetables is easier when the weather is warmer. I appreciate the good wishes.
      Big Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Losing weight isn't the easiest thing in the world but I think most of it involves simply changing your method of eating. Resident Chef has lost a little over 50 lbs and I've lost about 36 just by watching what (and when!) we eat. We still eat pretty much all the same things but really watch the serving sizes. We've also cut out any snacks after supper and only have a small dessert on the weekends. We don't feel deprived but the weight is slowly coming off. We hit plateaus too and have been on one for quite awhile now. We're both happy with our current weight so don't feel the need to change anything further. Wishing you luck with Noom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Congratulations to you and Resident Chef! That's awesome!! I think the biggest change for me is to not be grabbing something out of the fridge or pantry every time I walk through the rooms. "Cuppa tea, stack of cookies. Cuppa tea, handful of crackers...." You get the idea. I don't eat after dinnertime anymore either, and eating breakfast every day. Three huge differences for me. I think Noom has helped me develop new long-term habits, so that I won't slide backward once I'm finished with the subscription.
      Big Hugs!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. I grew up on a farm and breakfast was an important part of the day and I find it still is. Can't go without breakfast and if I have some sort of medical test that requires fasting I feel as though I'm deprived. And speaking of fasting - we do that (altho' not overly consciously) and don't eat between 7 pm and 8 am. Don't know if that helps or doesn't, but it can't hurt.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the weight loss. It is so difficult to do, especially once we get older. Great photo of your dog. Is that an old iron wood stove beside her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, dear Danice!
      Thanks so much. I was hesitant to say anything about what I'm doing, but decided that telling my closest blog friends would hold me more accountable. I'm going to keep after it, especially now, since you all know. lol That's actually Claudette, my older Barn Cat (her daughter lives here too, now). She does act more and more like Tag every day, though. wink Yes! That is an old iron wood stove. It's damaged so it can't be used to burn wood, but I love it. Our neighbors found it and brought it home from a yard sale. One of these days I'll put a plant in the woodbox area. Something vine-y, and colorful, I think.
      Big Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. Donna congratulations on your weight loss. So happy too that you are feeling more energetic. Your photo of Claudette made me smile. Those kitties do love to nap and I think it is because they are very active during the nights. I am sure you will be getting your needles dancing in the near future. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna