March 21, 2020

Keep Calm...

Brynwood Needleworks - Some of my British Cottages and Tins

I'm in my studio, contemplating how so many of our friends and family are concerned by the daily news. Being in the farmhouse and my studio is a happy, safe place for me. I'm happy when I'm creating, and knowing that Handsome is here in the house with me is very comforting. But I realize that not all people have creative outlets, and this may be a stressful time for them. 

Brynwood Needleworks - David Winter Cottages and British Tins

I have a corner in my studio with a few of my David Winter cottages, including two clocks (I have more, still packed away). Even though they're showing nearly the same time, both of my clocks are currently stopped and in need of new batteries. The one on top is my favorite because it's a mill house, and my dear, departed grandpa actually built and maintained a working mill on his property years ago.

The small cottage in front is called the Crofter's Cottage, and was a gift to me from Handsome and the boys shortly after we were married.

While I have other British tins, these three are favorites. Under the Mill House clock is a Cadbury Chocolate Fingers (cookies) tin. Really, who wouldn't love those? The tall tin was filled with delicious British biscuits, and I actually chose to share this corner with you today because of the Union Jack tin on the far right.

Brynwood Needleworks - My Cottage Corner

Yes, my friends. "Keep Calm and Carry On" was the wording on a motivational poster in Great Britain from 1939, when the British government was preparing for World War II. It was meant as a morale booster for the British people.

As in 1939, these words are as relevant today. We've all been asked to stay home, and away from other people. Many have heeded those words, while some have not. Our compliance is not required, but it might be a good idea.

The Missing Match Meme

There are online movies, classes (including FREE Master Cooking Classes HERE!), free book downloads, and even free daily Facebook watch parties through zoos (like the Cincinnati Zoo) and museums. If you don't bake, knit, sew, crochet, paper craft, or engage in "crafty" pursuits, there are more options than just staying in bed or being afraid. Stretch your brain. Exercise (eek!). Clean house (double eek!). 

You're not doing it just to protect yourself. You're also helping to stop the spread of the virus. You're protecting your elders, who may not have the immune system to ward off something worse. You're protecting loved ones who have compromised immune systems from chronic illnesses like Crohn's or COPD. 

I'm not being an alarmist. God is watching over and protecting all of us who believe...and even those who don't. Handsome is still healing from his surgery. He's cancelled his physical therapy sessions and will stay home with me until early April. Then he'll resume his formal PT. In the meantime, we have a list of his at-home exercises, and we'll work on helping him progress in his recuperation. We've decided to err on the side of caution. There's really no reason to do otherwise.

In the meantime, I talk with family; I keep in touch with friends through private messages, emails, and even Facebook. I've quit watching television news because it raises my blood pressure, and I've turned to music or movies while I'm in the studio.

We're all going to be fine. Just remember to breathe, and above all, Keep Calm and Carry On. We can do this. I pray for you and you're in my daily thoughts. This, too, shall pass, and I pray that when we come out on the other side, we'll all be a little kinder to, and considerate of each other.
I'd love to know how you're coping. Leave a comment, if you're so inclined - or send me an email. I promise I'll reply!

DonnaAcornSignature

6 comments:

  1. I am keeping busy stitching & sewing finishes.
    Take care & be safe!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts Donna - thank you. I have absolutely no problem isolating myself in my sewing room and stitching away the days. I have (thanks to my son) installed Spotify on my computer and now I can listen to just music with no news, something my brain needs. There ARE resources out there and more and more are popping up all the time. Our cable tv company is now offering all their channels that we once had to pay extra for as a free service during this time. That's good for my Resident Chef who enjoys that type of entertainment. Take care of you and your Handsome. Stay safe, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in the country too and don't often see a lot of people on a regular basis so it is pretty much life as usual for me. I am an at risk person because of lung issues and age, so am only going for groceries when I absolutely have to. Unfortunately when this hit, I had my list made for my next shopping trip and all the paper products topped the list. But I had no immediate need, so waited until last Wed. and lucked out because Costco got a huge order in and I was able to get everything on my list. I always keep a full pantry because I live so far out of town. So I don't need to go in again until it is time to get more fresh produce. I've been busy quilting and I read a lot too. Have a puppy to take in at the end of the month for her last distemper shot, but will use that trip to get any produce and groceries too. Stay safe and love to the pups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marilyn:
    Sounds like a great plan!
    Stay safe and healthy.
    xo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear "Magpie"-
    I haven't tried Spotify. I'm using iHeart radio right now, but will look into your service. I also, have no issues whatsoever, having out in my studio. A cuppa tea and a project and I'm a happy camper.
    I'll just stay indoors with Tag and Handsome, and we'll be just fine.
    Stay happy and healthy, my dear.
    xo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Carmen:
    You and I are on the same page. Thankfully, our neighbors ask if there's anything we need when they go to town. They're younger and not at risk. I leave money on our "friends and family" door and they leave everything outside, letting us know when they've dropped off for us. We're blessed, indeed.
    Stay safe and healthy, my friend.
    xo
    Donna, Handsome, Tag (and our current Florida girl, Bella)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna