January 7, 2019

Stitching Snowflakes...

Snow Days Bowl Filler - Stitched Snowflake by DLiljegren

I'm finally feeling myself again, and spent the day doing needlework on my Snow Days Bowl Fillers project. I decided to add a little more detail to the preprinted designs. The printed snowflakes looked like crocheting to me, so I embroidered them to mimic work done with a crochet hook.

Snow Days Bowl Filler - Stitched Snowflake II by DLiljegren

The snowman "basket" had four snowflakes on the ground fabric, so like real snowflakes, I stitched each one in a different design. You can see the snowman basket block below showing all the snowflakes I worked on. I think it's my favorite block (so far).

Brynwood Needleworks Rendition of Four or Six Snow Days Bowl Fillers

I was in a Jo-Ann Fabrics store on Thursday, and found just what I was looking for...the tiny pom pom trim that I'll use when I assemble to finished blocks.

My plan is to back each stitched panel with a woven fusible stabilizer once I get back to the farm, and then make them into little cushions to place in a bowl for the rest of the winter. I'll use the tiny trim along the outside seams when I assemble the cushions.

Brynwood Needleworks - Closeup of My Snow Days Bowl Filler (1)

These are closeups of two of the completed blocks. I stitched the wools to the ground fabric, and then did the needlework.

Brynwood Needleworks - Closeup of My Snow Days Bowl Filler (2)

 
I went back and added a little more needlework detail to some of the wool parts, too. I like how it added more dimension and interest to the wool. Two more and they'll all be finished. Aren't they sweet?

DonnaAcornSignature

5 comments:

  1. These are very sweet indeed. Your Snowflakes really do look like you crocheted them. Love the tiny Pom Pom trim. So glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty and intricate. Your work is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable and I think that Pom Pom trim will add nicely to the edges. Very happy to hear that you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love those chain stitch and knot snowflakes - brilliant, brilliant idea. I think it's my favourite block too, and now I think I am going to have try and search out this panel - I just love it! You did such an amazing job of these, adding your own special touches all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Donna from a very cold England, I love these designs, you don't know how lucky you are to have quilt shop and Joann's near you. I have nothing near me not even a habbidashery. I buy online and things look different online. I must tell you that I love your blog and also Tag's posts, he's such a character and it's great that you put a voice to him. Kind regards Mandy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna