January 19, 2019

Sharing Another Recipe Today...

Brynwood Needleworks - Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding Dinner
 
Last week I made a roast beef dinner with my family's traditional British Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes. I added roast carrots and garlic for the finishing touch. I shared a photo on Facebook and got a few questions about Yorkshire pudding and what it tastes like. I also was asked to share my recipe here on my blog, and of course, I'm happy to oblige! 

First, Yorkshire pudding doesn't taste like sweet pudding. It's a breadlike dish, that's more like American popovers. It's often baked in muffin cups, but I prefer to bake mine in a sheet or 9" x 13" cake pan. It's quite simple to make, and delicious with homemade beef gravy. (It was certainly a hit with Handsome and our Florida friends!) 
 
Here's the recipe for you.

Yorkshire Pudding
Donna Liljegren • Brynwood Needleworks • Hickory Hill Farm

Ingredients: 
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups milk (or 1 cup milk and 1  cup water)
2 eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil 

Preheat oven to 400º

Once the oven is preheated, place the oil on your baking pan and place in oven to heat oil. (If you use muffin pans, put about a teaspoon in each compartment.)

Mix together milk and egg, gradually adding flour and seasoning to taste. Whisk until completely mixed. When the oil is smoking in the pan, add the mixture and put back into oven. Bake until the pudding rises and turns a lovely golden color, approximately 30 minutes. They'll also have a nice cripsness, too.
 
It's traditional for the British to serve this dish with roast beef, beef gravy and roast potatoes. I roast the potatoes in the same hot oven. I use small, yellow potatoes, cleaned and cut in half.

TIPS:
You can easily double this recipe.
I've always made Yorkshire pudding according to these proportions, but my sister told me that she adds more eggs to get a nice rise. She adds six eggs! I'd do 2 c. flour, 2 c. milk and 4 eggs to try this for the first time. If I like how they rise with these proportions, I wouldn't add more.
If you make them in muffin tins, they rise high, all the pieces have crispy edges, and they form with a perfect well in the center for gravy. They get lovely "hills and valleys" when made in a regular baking pan.
 
If you make this recipe, please let me know how you like it. I'll have a link for this recipe on my Recipe page in the top menu bar for future reference.

DonnaAcornSignature

2 comments:

  1. Your Proper British dinner looks delicious. Thank yo for sharing your Yorkshire Pudding recipe. Alas...I probably won’t be making this as I prefer everything sweet! My son announced last time we ate together that I am in essence a Humingbird. I put Turbinado (Raw Sugar and lots of it) in my water with a slice of lemon. YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fabulous! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna