January 28, 2019

Fun, Friends and Music...

Brynwood Needleworks - Ronan Tynan and Bill Lewis Performed at St. Christopher's Cathedral in Hobe Sound, FL

Handsome and I packed up an overnight bag, Tag and Bella, and headed across the state to see dear friends on Friday. We spent the day training dogs (or watching, in my case), and then went back to Sommers' home. It was Mike's Birthday, so we were most pleased to be able to celebrate with him and his wife.

We went to see Dr. Ronan Tynan perform with accompanist Bill Lewis at St. Christopher's Cathedral in Hobe Sound (on the East coast of FL). If you aren't familiar with Ronan, he performed most recently at the funeral of his dear friend, President H.W. Bush. He spent part of the evening speaking about their friendship, the last time they were together, and then he sang one of the pieces he sang at the President's funeral - The Lord's Prayer. It was a truly delightful performance.

Following the concert, we went to one of Mike and Joann's favorite restaurants for a delicious, late night dinner. Then we went back to their home, continued our visit, and then turned in for the night. We drove back to Bradenton on the West coast mid-morning.

I know I told you I'd finish my butterfly wing on Saturday, but by the time we got back, I just didn't feel like stitching. I felt more like napping, so I went with it and slothed about the rest of the afternoon.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Suncoast Concert Band Performing at Church of the Palms in Sarasota, FL
 
Sunday brought a Suncoast Concert Band concert at a larger church venue than their usual home. Most of their performances are at Northminster Presbyterian Church (Sarasota), but twice a year, they pack up the band (and all the percussion section's equipment) and play at the Church of The Palms, across town. It's always a busy time for Handsome and the rest of the drum/percussion section.
 
Special guest performer was Aaron Romm, son of one of the founding members of the Canadian Brass, Ronald Romm. His father and mother were in attendance. Aaron's performance of the three-movement Haydn Concerto for Trumpet, as well as a second piece called "When It's Sleepy Time Down South/Swing The Music" (arranged by his father) both brought the audience to their feet. His crystal clear sound lifted to the rafters, and thrilled all of us who were there to hear it. 

All in all, it was a wonderful weekend of fun, friends and music that will be remembered for a long time to come. There will be time for needlework, but days like these are savored, not rushed. 

Tag will be here tomorrow to tell you about his weekend. I'm getting ready to head north this week - right into record snowfall and bone-chilling temperatures. I'll tell you all about that on Wednesday. I'm going to work on that wing today, and we'll see just how much I can accomplish.

DonnaAcornSignature

2 comments:

  1. Your weekend was divine and so well deserved. Life is to be savored with Fun, Friends and Music. I am certain Tag will have a lot to say about his weekend too. Enjoy your silk butterfly stitching dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be warm. Bitter cold in Illinois. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna