November 2, 2018

A Lovely Surprise...

Renee Steele-Smith's Farmer's Wife Quilt

Around July 2011, I wrote about the Farmer's Wife Cookbook I purchased, and then rambled on mentioned the Farmer's Wife Quilt book I also owned. I suggested a group quilt along, and by February of 2012, a group of my blog friends joined me in creating our own blocks from the book.

You can type "Farmer's Wife" into the search section of my blog to see more posts about our quilt along progress.

Renee Steele-Smith's Farmer's Wife Quilt

What I learned about myself was that I was a crummy sew along leader. I stayed with the project (which involved lots of paper piecing for me), for quite a while, creating new blocks as I was able. There were twenty eight of us in the group, including me.

However, quilts to be made for shows, and all the myriad irons I usually have in the fire, lured me away from my own Farmer's Wife quilt. (The pioneers might have frozen to death, waiting for me to finish a quilt to keep them warm!) After that, I never quite recommitted to working on mine, nor keeping in touch with the participants. (hangs head, scuffing toe.)

Renee Steele-Smith's Farmer's Wife Quilt

We were all working on our blocks well into 2013, but I have to admit, my blocks are still in a tote in the fabric studio. I have more more than a few blocks to make, if I want it to cover my current queen-size bed.

I don't know how many others are in my boat, but I do know that at least one person diligently worked toward completion of her quilt.

Renee Steele-Smith (of Wren's Nest blog) sent a note to me last week, with photographs of her gorgeous finished quilt. I asked if I could share, and Renee generously allowed me to post these.

Renee Steele-Smith's Farmer's Wife Quilt Detail

She told me that she used reproduction Civil War fabrics to make her blocks. Don't you just love the warm colors, and fabrics? Aren't they simply scrumptious?!

Renee Steele-Smith's Farmer's Wife Quilt Detail
 
I'm seriously smitten - and motivated - to start working on mine again. I'm getting ready for the upcoming crafter's event, but I'm committing to getting back to this quilt in January 2019...and will work on it until it's done. Renee, my dear. You are quite the inspiration. Thank you, sincerely, for sharing your incredible quilt with me, and for your permission to share it with my readers. I love everything about your version.

DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to Renee on her stunning Farmers Wife Quilt. I am sad to say I started making blocks and then quit. I was making a wall hanging quilt for my breakfast nook and husband took one look and said, “No way is that hanging in his house!” My muse was crushed and my little FW blocks sit in an unfinished pile...somewhere. I do love what I began so I will need to finish it sometime. Maybe work on it January 2019 would be a good goal. Now the fabrics and colors have NO place in our new home. I shall rethink making it into a lap quilt for my always cold self! Blessings...<3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna