August 1, 2018

And, So It Begins...

Homemade Dill Pickle Spears and Gramma Donna's Raspberry Jam
 
Handsome and I canned our homemade dill pickle spears on Monday before he left for band rehearsal in the evening. While he was gone, I put up homemade, old-fashioned raspberry jam...and still managed to have a late dinner ready for him when he got back home. (I am woman, hear me roar. lol)

By bedtime, we had fourteen quarts and eight pints of pickles; and eight half pints and two four ounce jars of raspberry jam. I slept like a log on Monday night!

I still have five pounds of large pickling cucumbers left that will become hamburger dill slices, and this is just the first batch of cukes! When I get our next batch, they'll be made into sweet, bread & butter pickles. I think I've got a week before then, though.
 
When my girlfriend, Linda K. saw these pictures on Facebook, she said she thinks I'm living Proverbs 31...which made me feel so great. I can only hope to emulate one of my favorite Bible verses, and was humbled that she honored me with her words.

This is my favorite time of year for stocking our pantry. Next up will be salsa, made from our own tomatoes. They're coming in like gangbusters now, and so, it begins! Happy August!

DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. Your canning and perserving and fruits of your labor of gardening are truly the way we should all be living...like our foremothers. Linda K was quite correct in her assessment. Everything looks delicious. Awesome August...<3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna