August 30, 2018

The Day After The Storms...

Hickory Hill Farm Sunset
 
There were terrible storms around our state the day on Tuesday. A tornado landed about forty minutes south of us, trees and power lines came down, there were fires and damaged buildings. And, there was rain. Lots of rain. 

We lost power for two and a half hours, so Handsome and I brought out the battery-operated Ott lights, I lit Mom's antique oil lamp, and then made our dinner by their light. I love my gas range/oven, because we were able to cook even without electricity...just like when this house was young. We had a lovely meal, and stayed safe and dry within the walls of our farmhouse.

There were and are plenty of people sharing photographs of all the damage, and many friends are still without power. In typical Midwestern style, people pulled up their shirtsleeves and got busy with cleanup. We're saying prayers for all of them.

There's a comfort and calm that I get living in this home. I think about all the people it's cared for since the first occupants moved in. This farmhouse has withstood any manor of storms through the century of its life. I know that the foundation is sturdy and steadfast. The walls straight and true, and the roof will continue to keep us dry for the rest of our days...and then protect those we love who come after us. I've never been afraid one minute that we've lived here...even when I've been here alone. This home takes care of its people, and for that we're truly blessed.
 
I love this house. I trust its old bones.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. Lovely tribute to your beautiful 100 year old Hickory Hill Farmhouse. Prayers for those affected by storms. Thankful you and Handsome and Bella and Tag are safe and dry. Blessings indeed <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleased you are all safe and sound.Its lovely to have a home that really is a HOME.May your old farmhouse continue to watch out for you.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sherry. You know how much I love our place. I appreciate your kind wishes.
    xo
    Donna
    Brynwood Needleworks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Laura!
    Our home took good care of us.
    xo
    Donna
    Brynwood Needleworks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna