August 17, 2018

Let's Hide Behind The Chain Saws...

Geico "Good Choices" Ad Image

Have you ever seen this commercial? (HERE'S the link, in case you haven't.) Handsome and I thought about this one yesterday, as we were making our way back home from a trip about 45 minutes south of the farm. Let me explain...

Hoosier Cabinet From Marketplace
 
Handsome and I wanted to find a Hoosier cabinet, or something vintage on this order for the kitchen, and saw this in the Facebook Marketplace. I had extensive texts with the owner, who said her brother would be happy to show it to us, as she was going to be out of town. We made arrangements to see it yesterday morning.

We drove south to the address she gave us, but there were three houses on the same driveway. Which one? There were two that were pin-neat, and one that looked ready to tear down. You guessed it. That was just the beginning. (Handsome muttered something about, "How do I get myself into these things?")

As her brother invited us in (alarm bells blaring!!!), I was so grateful my husband was with me. He had originally suggested that I check out the cabinet on my own, and then go back with him after the weekend. I'm soooooo glad we decided to go together instead, because, really, I couldn't have done it alone.

At first, I thought the house was being renovated, but once inside, I realized that brother had been sitting on a ratty recliner in the "living room", watching tv. There was garbage and debris everywhere. The hair stood up on the back of my neck. Then, he said, "It's in the basement. Follow me to the "dungeon". " I kid you not! If I'd been alone, this is where I would have said, "Thanks, but no. I've changed my mind about the cabinet." As Handsome was with me, we followed him downstairs. (Isn't that always where the crazy, axe murderer takes his victims?)

Needless to say, the basement was funky; the dehumidifier wasn't keeping up; the lighting stunk (as did the basement); and there stood the lonely cabinet against the wall. I felt bad, seeing it languishing away in the basement, but once I saw that the drawers stuck and didn't line up, along with the other issues it was having, I knew. I looked at Handsome, and he gave me the ever-so-subtle nod. No way were we taking it home with us. Honestly, who knew what was growing in it? We really didn't need to add another project, either. We thanked "brother" and got out of there as fast as we could. 

We didn't say anything to each other until we were back on the road. I took a deep, cleansing breath, and Handsome started to laugh. I said, "You almost had me go there alone!" He replied that he'd learned a good lesson, and wouldn't make that mistake again. Then, we both laughed about how this reminded us of the Geico ad. "Let's go hide behind the chain saws", and "Look! We can run to the cemetery." My husband also told me that I can expect to hear a lot more about this excursion. I'm pretty sure I can count on that.

DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. Been there & done that when we were antique dealers! Lordy! the stuff you go thru to find a gem. You 2 are so funny!, but understand the emotions completely
    !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like quite and adventure..and I am sure you both couldn't wait to Head to the showers once home! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. People are absolutely MAD CRAZY out there. The Mennonite man who put up some horse fence for me is going to install an electric gate across the driveway. It's how I lived on the old farm, it's how I'm living on the new one. Nope, it won't stop anyone but it'll sure make them think about going somewhere there's NO gate.
    Be safe out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to some similar trips chasing down 'antiques' when I was buying for the Antique Mall, and auctions, and meeting some scary individuals with trucks full of grandmother's treasures.....(that weren't) really theirs. Better to buy from your local antique stores, where dealers have hunted, cleaned and repaired prize hoosiers. . . But it was an adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna