August 9, 2018

Almost Always Busy...

Windfall Applesauce and Cowboy Candy

I've had so much else to share with you this week, that I didn't get to show you my two most recent canning projects.

Our old apple tree drops more fruit than it retains, but I just can't let it go to waste, so I pick up the windfalls and can the acceptable morsels. I pull out the stems, cut off the bruised parts and quarter the rest into the slow cooker. A few hours later, I put everything through the chinoise, add cinnamon and sugar, reheat and jar. Fifteen more minutes in the water bath canner and voila! 5 3/4 pints of Windfall Applesauce.

After the class reunion, the committee (of which I was one) split up the leftover condiments from the buffet meal. I opted to bring home the green peppers (which I froze), and the jalapenos. I had a plan.

I learned about Cowboy Candy in a Facebook canning group, and had to make some. It's actually candied jalapenos, after adding vinegar, sugar and a few spices. The usual task of cutting up the peppers was already taken care of. I ended up with four half pints of spicy, sweet heat. This will be served over cream cheese, with crackers. (There may be beer or margaritas involved, too, but I couldn't possibly comment on that!)

Male Monarch Butterfly
 
Handsome and I have had various appointments this week, and on one return trip we encountered this beautiful male monarch butterfly. We were almost home, and driving slowly up our road, when he flew into the path of the truck. 
 
When we got home, I went around to the front of the truck and there he was. Still alive, but a bit stunned. I held him in my hand to let him get his bearings, and then, as I walked him over to the milkweeds in our field, he lifted up off my hand and flew away. None the worse for wear, and making me grateful in the process. I was honored to hold a miracle in the palm of my hand...another gift from the farm.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. you are living such a wonderful life - so happy you were able to rescue the monarch

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna