August 6, 2018

It Was A Great Party...

Class of 1973 - photography by Ken Bauer

Saturday night was full of fun, friendship and surprises. It was the 45th class reunion for my high school graduating class. I was part of the planning committee, so I helped with anything that needed to be done prior to, during and after the party. There was still lots of time to visit, dance and catch up.

Not everyone who attended the party (and was a member of our class) is in this photograph. I noticed twenty or more people who chose to stay outside to visit or watch us taking the photo. (It was really hot outside, and worse inside.) I think they were just more comfortable not huddling next to the classmates that were posing for the picture (or perhaps they were camera shy).

Dr. Cyd Quarterman and me - BFFs for 57 Years and Counting

When I spoke with my oldest, best friend a few months ago, she told me she wouldn't be able to come as she planned to be in Wisconsin a few weeks prior and wouldn't stay on or return. I was disappointed, but completely understood.

I was sitting with my stepsister (also a classmate and long-time friend), Sher, when I glanced up to see my BFF walk across the room. She had decided to surprise me and come back to Wisconsin (from Georgia) for our reunion! She brought her younger brother as her "plus one". I've known him since he was a "pup", so we also got a chance to talk.

I couldn't have been happier to see her, and to spend time with her brother. She really blessed me by taking the time to come back to town for our reunion celebration, and we're planning to get together later this week at her mom's before she heads home.

Planning Committee Volunteers (L-R: me, Mary Schingen, Karen Suhs, Karen Courtney)

Mary, Karen S., and Karen C. were all busy Saturday night. The reunion really was the work product of Mary and another classmate, Rose Reigert. They called for volunteers to help plan the party, and that's how I got involved.

The night of the party, it was all hands on deck to make sure food and drink were available, a fun photo area with props was set up, and of course, end of night cleanup was accomplished. There was also plenty of time for committee members to eat, dance and be merry. (I'm sorry we didn't get a photo of all the committee members and volunteers together. This wouldn't have happened without them!)

John Freund and me

John is the younger brother of one of my old high school boyfriends. John was in my class, and he and I had time to share what's been going on in our lives since we last spoke.

We shared a couple of old stories, and he told me what his brother is doing in the northwest part of the country, too. Lots of changes (although not unexpected) since we graduated and his brother and I went different ways. It was nice to learn that they're all doing well.

Rose and Me

More than a few classmates passed since our last reunion (five years ago), but Rose Roberts is the younger sister of one of those who passed in the last year. She came to the reunion to visit with some of her sister's old friends, and we ran into each other.

We visited for quite a while, catching up on friends and relatives, and she's still as lovely as she always was. Rose always had a quiet elegance, and a great sense of fun. She seems to have become even more so over the years, and we hope to see each other again soon.

All in all, it was another memorable time with so many old friends. The next time we're all together, we'll celebrate our 50th. It's so hard to believe, when so many of still feel like thirty year olds inside. Sure, we have a new ache here, or a little "hitch in our giddyup" from time to time, but our hearts and minds are all still vibrant and fun filled.

I'll continue to work with the committee to plan the golden anniversary of our graduation, and pray that all of us alive today will be able to celebrate together in 2023. What a celebration it will be!
 
DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. Looks like everyone enjoyed this reunion gathering. Getting together and catching up with classmates and friends is always wonderful. Great job volunteers! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna