August 25, 2018

A Productive Day...

Hickory Hill Farm Zucchini Pepper Relish

Friday turned into quite the productive day. The one zucchini Shelly gave me weighed four pounds before I took off the ends and removed the seeds! It was huge! As we don't have a basement freezer yet, I wanted to find something to make that didn't have to be frozen.

I decided on a recipe from Marisa McClellan's book, Food In Jars. It's called "Zucchini Pepper Relish", and I had all the ingredients. The main components are three pounds of grated zucchini, six pounds of chopped peppers (which I grew in our garden), and two grated sweet onions. Thanks to my Cuisinart™food processor, grating the zucchini and onion was a breeze. It was easy to chop the six cups of green and red peppers.

Hickory Hill Farm Zucchini Pepper Relish

I followed the rest of the recipe, and ended up canning a gorgeous batch of relish. I canned them into pint jars, and had enough left in the pot for the "cooks portion", so Handsome and I could try some at lunchtime. It was delicious!

Hickory Hill Farm Crab Apple Jelly
 
I also put up the last of the crab apples into jelly, too. I have Lavender Jelly and Grape Jam to put up yet, and then I'll be finished with the jams/jellies for this season. 
 
Shelly and I are going to the farmer's market this morning. Who knows what will come home with us?  I can see a fun weekend in my future.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. How did you and Handsome eat this zuchinni pepper relish? It sounds different and yet yummy. I can imagine it with some sort of ground meat and stuffed into even more zuchinni or bells for a meal. Wonderful Weekend Dear...<3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna